Search results

1. S

Time for another match report

Thought I'd write another match report as I recall the ELRA final part asks you for a few self assessed performances. So this is mainly for own benefit-so no obligations for anyone else to trawl through it:wink: Match between Red and Blue, both 4th teams of well established clubs in...
  2. S

retreat ot not to retreat under 10M law

Difficult call (for me!) in my game today: Red kicks ahead some distance, I scan around to see red players ahead and shout 'hold it red' and notice red winger still going forward (not yet within 10 of catcher) ahead of kicker. However, he only makes clear move on ball carrier once (in my view)...
  3. S

In Goal Anxiety revisited.

Thought I was getting clearer about InGoal stuff but discover :rolleyes: that I'm not-so, a couple of questions: 1) If ball kicked in by attackers but deflects off defender(who is In Goal to go over DB line what's the logic? Defender did not clear the ball intentionally so, presumably, a 22...
  4. S

ball passed back by tacklee to oppo-legal?

An area I'm still confused about is when a player is on 'wrong' side of tackle area when no ruck forms and picks up ball. I have an example from the Llanelli/Swansea(Abertawe) game which is at the following link http://www.s4c.co.uk/clic/e_level2.shtml?series_id=355855496and the incident is at...
  5. S

Dropped ball bounces of leg-KO?

Incident in my game today-player drops ball which bounces off leg; I shout play on (shouts of 'come on ref'etc) I'd obviously decided to treat as a non-Knock on as the leg was last contact area-was I right?
  6. S

Cancellationitus!

No game(again!) for me today -phoned club Thursday to be told game off then secretary gets another game which I'm told is off this morning. It seems that cancellations at my level are becoming quite common -any other new refs doing mainly IIIrd teams having this sort of experience?
  7. S

Learning curve still steep

In my first full season I'm not yet doing games weekly due to domestic issues and, waht with a few cancellations, last Saturday's game was only my fifth of the season, so my progress is slow. However, my previous game was assessed and the comments were positive taking into account my...
  8. S

Player taking tap penalty 'backwards'

Game today where a player took a tap penalty facing backwards towards team mates. Have seen this before. Seems wrong to me -if it is what law is being infringed-obstruction? I let it go as I was not sure of my facts.
  9. S

Tackling player without ball

Look at www.gloucesterrugby.co.uk/news/5504.php and you will see a picture of two Glos players tackling an Aussie with another Aussie(12?) gripping on of the tacklers. I would assume the Aussie 12(?) is tackling a player without ball as a maul has not formed -thoughts?
  10. S

Self-created urban myth?!

:chin: Chatting to a society member in yesterday's meeting I was talking about (as I thought it) the difficulty of assessing a knock on when ball bounces behind player but ends up forward. He told me this was not the law as the bounce doesn't matter. Have I invented my own myth that if a...
  11. S

Allowing substitutions when one team has only 15

Looking back on my saturday game I'm not sure I acted with a good sense of equity re substitutions. One team had only 15 men and their scrum was always under pressure. They were getting a real drubbing (final score:64-7) and in the second half I allowed the dominant team to bring on fresh...
  12. S

Oppo 'block' of quick throw

In saturdays game blue about to attempt a quick throw but black player arrives dancing in front of thrower which unsettles him and he doesn't throw This is what happens: 1)I watch and see throw is not taken immediately, look around and don't yet see line out minimum forming but whistle as I...
  13. S

New ref sign needed?

Had a first on Saturday:- Game stopped for dog sh*t removal (bloke comes on with bucket and shovel-glad it doesn't devolve upon ref!) Joked with players that a new ref sign might be needed-any suggestions?
  14. S

When is a knock on a charge down?

In a recent game I blew for a knock on when ball bounced off a players arm after a kick. Team protested that it was a charge down. I didn't sense it was an intentional charge down but that it happened to bounce off the player who could have conceivably caught it as he was not that close. Not...
  15. S

third team cancellations

I'm rather dissapointed that, so far. I have had two matches cancelled. In one case there was time to arrange another game but today the offer of an alternative game did not come in till mid Saturday morning by which time I'd re-arranged my day. Society mentor told me that this is often a...
  16. S

Free kick to touch from 22.

In my game yesterday I awarded a free kick on 15m line in kickers 22 -he kicks for touch and I realise I'm unsure if the gain in ground acrues as it was kicked from 22. As I have to decide I opt for alloing the gain in ground. Was I right?
  17. S

Unplayable ball after maul collapse

In my game yesterday had two instances of maul collapses/ball not coming out; I whistled quick giving scrum to team NOT in possession-I'm now thinking did I get this wrong and should it have been team going forward?
  18. S

Rest Of team offside after ruck/tackle?

Saw interesting scenario yesterday: Red kick ahead and chase -fast red player just gets to receiver(white) to make a tackle what looks like ruck(?) ensues with ball won by red and quickly out. Rest of white time are in front of tackle/ruck area as it all happened quickly -ref plays on. If it...
  19. S

Insisting lines straight/too finicky at my level?

Stilling mulling over last game-At Line outs I was very aware of gap narrowing towards end of tunnel and kept asking the end players to widen a bit with bemused response-kept insisting at each line-out with threats of Free Kicking someone (both were guilty so who to free kick?) eventually they...
  20. S

Ball grubbered in to Touch-in-Goal

Mulling over my first game of season and noticing some dodgy law blunders in retrospect (causing painful winces:( ). As a newbie I still get nervous about the in-goal world. think my brain gets the reveral of polarities experience at time and I end up doing the wrong thing. Scenario: Blue...