Search results

1. P

New Ref : First Game : My post match thoughts/report.

So, after passing my ELRA two seasons back, I finally got round to actually reffing my first game today. A level 11 adult game - a couple of ‘seconds’ teams - but still a league match, so the result was (I presume) important. And, to be honest, by the end of the game I felt truly awful. What...
  2. P

Pre-match 'talk'

So, it's likely that I will be reffing my first match this Saturday. I'm used to reffing (I'm a qualified FA ref), taken my ELRA, and studied the law book, and joined my local society. What I'm wondering though, is what to actually say during a pre-match 'chat', and who exactly to talk to...
  3. P

A confession...

About 16 years ago I got into refereeing. At that point in time though it was for football. I qualified as a referee, and did many years reffing junior football in the area, and for the most part I enjoyed it. This isn't the confession though ;) Life changes made me leave the football world...
  4. P

U12 in an U13 team? (UK)

I am trying to find out what the regulations are for having a player play for a different age group. Our club's U12 team (midi) has folded due to lack of interest. However, one of their players, want to join our U13 team. He is bigger (taller/wider) than most of the U13's, and can carry...
  5. P

Football!

Ok, so maybe I should have chosen a less contentious subject for a post, but it does have relevance here :biggrin: And I am an FA Referee as well as an RFU one, so I'm allowed. Anyway, the question is, can a side (or both sides) effectively play football if they wanted to? As in fly-hacking...
  6. P

Flags

I can't find any option to change my "referees in" flag? Whilst I have strong Welsh roots, I'm actually part of the Bristol Society in England. Not sure I ever 'chose' Welsh originally, but I certainly can't find any way to escape from it now!
  7. P

Materiality? Coaching? Refereeing? What's my main role here?

I'm about to enter into the wonderful world of junior rugby refereeing, and after watching a few games I'm trying to work out the best approach. I'll mainly be doing U13's to start. From what I have seen, many of the laws are not enforced, possibly due to materiality (eg penalty kick not...
  8. P

Tackle - Hands on Shoulder

10.4e says: Does that cover a tackler putting his hands on the shoulders of the guy with the ball, but away from the neck? I keep seeing tacklers holding on, trying not to fall to the floor, by gripping the shoulders of the guy with the ball, hands/fingers wrapping over the top. Lastly...
  9. P

Wheeling Maul

If a maul forms, lots of players from both sides (not just people with hand on ball), and then the maul starts to rotate, do the players attached (bound on) to the maul have to peel off and enter through the gate again? If so, what is the offence if they don't? I realise that although the maul...
  10. P

Rucks & Hands Query

I'm a newly qualified ref, but I still have a number of... gaps in my knowledge of the game that prevent me from actually taking up the whistle. So I have a few things I need to clear up, one of then being rucks. I'm aware of when a ruck starts (1 or more from each side, on their feet, in...
  11. P

Where to source ref kit?

Heya, As of this coming Sunday, I shall be qualified to take up the whistle in RFU (in the UK). As such, I'm looking to acquire some kit that is suitable. ie Shirts with pockets, shorts with pockets etc. Ideally, long sleeve too given the current temperatures we're getting! :/ After doing a...