Search results

1. M

[Line out] Frances first try against Ireland - Should we have gone back for a lineout?

When I watched last weeks France v Ireland game I thought that the first French try should have been disallowed. It looked to me that the French winger who was chasing the ball jumped when already in touch, hit the ball back in-field and then landed in touch. At the time I said "Line-out !!"...
  2. M

[Maul] Is this a forward pass?

What is the correct decision in this situation? The ball carrier (let’s call him BC1) is held up in an attempted tackle and he turns towards his own goal line; One of his team mates (let’s call him BC2) comes in from behind him and also gets hold of the ball (so we now have BC1 & BC2 with...
  3. M

[Maul] What laws apply in this (common?) situation.

Law 17 (Maul) states that “A maul begins when a player carrying the ball is held by one of more opponents, and one or more of the ball carrier’s team mates bind onto the ball carrier”. What I frequently see is the ball carrier surrounded by opponents and isolated from his team mates. The BC’s...
  4. M

Questions on the new Scrum laws

Questions on scrum put ins with the new laws... If the referee is no longer giving any signal for the put in, then what happens in the following situations: Scenario 1: C-B-S and the scrum half immediately (meaning in the next few milli-seconds) puts the ball in {back in my hooking days we...
  5. M

[Maul] Where in the laws is Fringing around a maul outlawed?

I have a maul related question... I've been reading through the laws (Maul laws - 17), and I cannot find anything that stops 'Fringing', where players creep around the outside of a maul. Consider this: Blue are in possession and have got the ball to the back of the maul. A red player joins...