14.2 [A] has the pro game removed this from their game

VM75

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Unless I'm mistaken, the pro game seems to ignore instances of this nowadays .

[FONT=fs_blakeregular]
[/FONT]

[FONT=fs_blakeregular]Falling over the player on the ground with the ball.
[/FONT]
[FONT=fs_blakeregular]
A player must not intentionally fall on or over a player with the ball who is lying on the ground.[/FONT]

Most ref's recognise the vulnerability of a player who's gone to ground

Here's a clip from the NZ v BIL game , it's a fairly obvious example of how the arriving player just plops onto the player who's fallen off his feet

https://youtu.be/fYKSMK7o4M8?t=966

Thoughts?

PK?, immaterial & play on?

& would your decision be different in the community game each week ?

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
He called the mark so it was not material. I have a word with the NZ player and get on with the game.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Well blow it them For me my answer is given.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Seeing an inconsistent application of this Law at all elite levels (Super Rugby, Aviva, Internationals etc). Once again, it makes life difficult for refs at our level.

I would have changed the FK for the Mark to a PK for the flop in the OP's scenario

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
The AB went to drive him into touch and let go immediately and went over the top. He released 'immediately' because the whistle had gone very quickly. The ref by blowing so quickly for the 'mark' could not then blow for anything unless there was foul play or a clear attempt to stop the player on the floor complying with the law. But that latter option had gone. No problem. No other decision to make, or any laxity in law.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
The AB went to drive him into touch and let go immediately and went over the top. He released 'immediately' because the whistle had gone very quickly. The ref by blowing so quickly for the 'mark' could not then blow for anything unless there was foul play or a clear attempt to stop the player on the floor complying with the law. But that latter option had gone. No problem. No other decision to make, or any laxity in law.

I think you need to watch it again.
Dagg drops on him, goes over the top and then the whistle goes. He clearly drops onto a player who is on the ground in an attempt to drive him into touch.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Unless I'm mistaken, the pro game seems to ignore instances of this nowadays .

Most ref's recognise the vulnerability of a player who's gone to ground

Here's a clip from the NZ v BIL game , it's a fairly obvious example of how the arriving player just plops onto the player who's fallen off his feet

https://youtu.be/fYKSMK7o4M8?t=966

Thoughts?

PK?, immaterial & play on?

& would your decision be different in the community game each week ?

Safety is material.

Flopping on the player on the ground has nothing whatsoever to with safety (it would either be in Law 10, or it would state in the Law "this is dangerous play" if it was... Law 16, 17 and 20 have examples of this)

Law 14.2 (a) is about fair competition for the ball...

In this case, the Red player called for the mark, so there was no competition for the ball so no PK

However, I take your point, I think you just didn't pick the best example.

This happens a few other times in this match (both teams guilty) and as TheFat points out, elite referees have been very slack on policing it of late.

Last edited: