1st exchange assessment of season

ianh5979

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yorkshire Society Adviser Report Form 2010-11

Referee Ianh5979 Referee’s Level 10 Society North Yorks Date 12-2-11

Home Team ******* 20pts v Away Team ****** 14 pts

Description of the Match and its challenge for the Referee Game Level____9___
******* forfeited the league match because they could not raise a front row. A friendly game was played in its place, ******* lending the visitors two players. The ensuing match was pretty much of an anti-climax, played at a slow pace on a wet, sticky pitch. Individual skills were in very short supply. ****** were always the better team but managed to drop the ball or knock it on in numerous attacking positions and were, ultimately, fortunate to win the match with a try in injury time at the end of the game.
Due to ******* scrummaging shortcomings Ian’s challenge was to ensure a safe scrummage and this he did admirably. He explained to the ****** pack that they could legally destroy the visiting scrummage but that would then probably lead to uncontested scrums. He reminded them of this at half time and the scrummages were remarkably clean and safe and ******** did much better than we had feared!!
Please outline up to three areas for improvement (using CBRDS descriptors) and OFFER SOLUTIONS
Advantage. Ian is very keen to allow as much advantage as possible. In this game with one suspect front row I applauded him for this. Nevertheless, I did feel that he played too much advantage to the defending side when they were under a lot of pressure in their own 22 and they seemed very unlikely to gain an advantage. Under such circumstances he should blow up much earlier and give the defending team chance to draw breath and sort its defence out!

Communication. The players' actions at the tackle never improved despite 11 tackle penalties being awarded in total. I suggested to Ian that he uses “preventative” words and phrases at this phase – eg “release him blue 6” or “roll away tackler”. He could also have a private word with offenders as they approached the next line out or scrummage or play stopped for an injury. I also suggested that he varies the volume of what he says, shouting at tackle, ruck, open play etc but using a conversational tone to individuals when play has stopped. This will reduce the “white noise” effect of his voice.

Tackle/ruck. One usually suggests to referees that they need to get away from the ruck so that they can scan and see the bigger picture. Ian needs to get in there first before he moves out! His usual action is to stay well away from the tackle and watch as the ruck ensues: I feel that he needs to get in there quickly to see what happens in the immediacy of the tackle and THEN he can step out to the position that he is clearly comfortable with.
Please list up to three of the referee’s strengths in this match
Scrummage. This could have been a problem area and Ian controlled it very well. The engagement process was spot on in terms of clarity, timing and consistency. He explained that it had to be slow to be safe and he kept it so throughout.

Line Out. These were well set-up and adjudicated upon. Ian made a clear mark and asked for a wide gap. He varied his position as much as the low sun would permit. He held the backs well.

Tackle. Ian has a clear vision of what he expects at the tackle and was not afraid to penalise when this did not happen. Half of all penalties awarded in this match were at this phase. He stuck to his guns throughout the game and was eminently consistent.
Name of Coach
(Block Capitals) *************
Sign Society East Riding
Date 13-2-11
The REFEREE’S POTENTIAL (Please tick the appropriate box.)
This referee is capable of refereeing at a higher level than this game (which level?)

This referee is correctly graded for this level of game Yes

This referee would be more comfortable at a lower level game than this (which level?) level?)

Was the referee fit enough for this game? Yes
Was the referee generally up with play throughout? Yes
Did the referee read the changes in play patterns? Yes

Any comments welcome!!(Even you Andy). A little bit confused as to the tackle being in both sections as a strength and a weakness
One item that was wrong was i told 1 pack that they could dominate but not to destroy the other pack as it would force me to go uncontested

Iron_Lung

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
To me that says the coach thought you could improve your positioning at the tackle/ruck but coming in close before you get out and away. This may allow you to use more preventative communications at this phase and reduce the number of penalties at this phase of the game.

The positive aspect is that you have an accurate and consistent view of the tackle. Therefore you are seeing the offences and correctly adjudicating as a result. This is a big positive, proving that you have a great awareness of what is happening at the T/R and something you can build on with positioning and comms to reduce the number of penalties and improve the folow of the game.

I think that's a pretty good report and one that you can build on in the future. Congrats...

ianh5979

Referees in England
Post Likes
Thanks for that, it did make a change from previous assessments months ago that said i was too close to tackle/ruck area(and as im sure Andy will point out im a bit too old to be looking at building for the future)

Last edited:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Well done.

Like you say a bit of an anti-climax but good experience all the same. Home team are in free fall since their relegation. I did them 2 years ago when a certain British Lion (now a L8 referee) still played for them as well as ex Cas and Hull RL player. They were much better then.

Away side look like they are going to be relegated. I did them in September when they beat the team that are now 2nd and pushing for promotion (I did them on Saturday as well :biggrin: ).

Pitch can be awful there and there is nothing to stop the wind from Siberia blowing right up your estuary.

I think my report will be similar to yours - issues with tackle/ruck phase etc.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
This referee is correctly graded for this level of game Yes

I have never understood this. If you were correctly graded for this level of game you would be a L9 wouldn't you?

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
Ian

Consistency at the breakdown is good, but the negative also makes sense. Get in sort out the problems with your voice if you can, then get out, scan the back foot etc.
Scrummaging is also a strength of yours, possibly because of your experience, keep that one going.

The assessment is fairly typical for an old bloke like you :bday:

ianh5979

Referees in England
Post Likes
Andy, care to post one of yours so i can see how it should be done by some young whipersnapper?:D