[Line out] 2 man line out

mugsey

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
A 2 man line out in a 15 a-side game. The scrum half is in the ‘receiver position’. Once thrown, the scrum half goes into the line out once the ball has left the throwers hand, and is lifted by the 2 players there and catches the ball..

• If a team elects to have a receiver, the receiver stands between the five-metre and the 15-metre lines, two metres away from their team-mates in the lineout. Each team may have only one receiver. [COLOR=#2C8626 !important]Sanction:

• [COLOR=#2C8626 !important]Free-kick.[/COLOR]

Not sure how you have time to cover 2 m, and be lifted in time anyway. Do we allow this? Any different in 7s?
[/COLOR]

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
A 2 man line out in a 15 a-side game. The scrum half is in the ‘receiver position’. Once thrown, the scrum half goes into the line out once the ball has left the throwers hand, and is lifted by the 2 players there and catches the ball..

• If a team elects to have a receiver, the receiver stands between the five-metre and the 15-metre lines, two metres away from their team-mates in the lineout. Each team may have only one receiver. [COLOR=#2C8626 !important]Sanction:

• [COLOR=#2C8626 !important]Free-kick.[/COLOR]

Not sure how you have time to cover 2 m, and be lifted in time anyway. Do we allow this? Any different in 7s?
[/COLOR]

Allowed in 15s and 7s I believe!

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
The key distinction is that the ball has been thrown before the receiver joins. If the receiver joins before the throw, then you FK that side.

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Allowed, but you’ve raised the key point, can they move the 2m and get lifted to receive the ball whilst not moving until the ball is thrown. It’s possible but more likely they joined the line out early.

GingerSeaMonster

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Have a look at the following post started on 7 - 1 - 2020 started by JSG8. It covers in a lot of good detail what you are mentioning here, I got some useful tips from a coaching and reffing perspective.
[h=2]
icon1.png
Re: Receiver at a lineout[/h]
Ive tried this scenario with my Under 16s team in training. As I understand the laws, SH or receiver must be 2m from the line out participants. He can't move until the ball leaves the hooker's hands. So he needs to be quick and get between the 2 lifters, go up, catch, then be brought down safely, lifters bind and form a maul, hooker comes and either acts as SH or binds on to the lifters and rips the ball off the original SH and continues the progression of the maul.

The few times we tried it in training they weren't very successful. I may try it with the player at receiver doing the job of lifter rather than jumper. I'm sure it's been done successfully at the higher levels.

From a refereeing perspective a few things to comply with - not moving before ball leaves hookers hands, ensuring he is min of 2m away, throw straight, no early lift.

Think we me might try and resurrect this one next train session​