2 maul questions

JSAK

Referee, Old Boy, youth coach in Alaska
Post Likes
After catching up on some Championship and Challenge Cup games I have two maul-related questions. (1) There were a number of occasions where players bound-in were pulled out of a maul by opposing players. Perhaps the refs didn’t deem these specific actions material, or perhaps advantage of which I was unaware was being played, but I’m wondering what happened to “a player must not try to drag an opponent out of a maul? (2) Is there a specific law that dictates stoppage when a player is lifted off his feet or forced up an out of a maul, or is it blown up because it’s a safety issue?

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
1; Generally ignored. How can it not be material?

2; Yes it is dangerous (in almost every case).

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
1. I always penalise it, if a preventative "leave him!" Is ignored. It can result in a pull down.
2. It's dangerous.

JSAK

Referee, Old Boy, youth coach in Alaska
Post Likes
Thank you gentlemen.

1; Generally ignored. How can it not be material

I was shooting in the dark there re “material” as I could not hear the ref’s commentary in the video. However, if I witnessed a player pulling another off of the fringe of the maul, on the side opposite the ball, as the ball was leaving the maul ( a lot of “ifs”), I might throw out my arm and call penalty advantage, or I might just make a mental note to chat with the offending player at the next opportunity. We have a lot of young players up here who watch too much supper rugby and then practice what they have seen on the pitch, so education rather than adjudication sometimes is the preferred route.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
You're reds and you and blue both have 6 men in the maul. you pull one of theirs out. Now they only have 5 pushing etc. That is material and you getting pinged (unless the ball is emerging) or advantage. I find it very difficult to consider it to ever be immaterial.

They're copying the "big boys"? Not my problem. That's for the coaches to deal with (That was their excuse last week and the week before etc!).

As Phil said possibly preventative call is an option.

Last edited: