2016 Laws Omit 16 Paragraphs from Law 3.5?

Voetap

Referees in America
Post Likes
The 2016 edition of the Laws of the Game omits 16 paragraphs (e to t) from Law 3.5 that are present in the 2015 edition (see image below).

Are these omissions intentional, or a printing gremlin?

They seem to be deliberate, as the same paragraphs are also omitted from the online version of the Laws. Or am I holding the wrong end of the stick again?

Why were these omitted (simplification?), and what are the implications for referees?

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-03 at 9.14.43 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-02-03 at 9.14.43 AM.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

Voetap

Referees in America
Post Likes

Thanks, I'll check it out. The link seems to redirect to a file that automatically downloads?

In any case, given the omission, it is odd that Law 3.4 (d) in the 2016 edition has not been amended accordingly, and still refers to two of the omitted paragraphs (f) and (g):
(d) A team can substitute up to two front row players (subject to Law 3.5 (f) and (g) when it may be three) and up to five other players.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It doesn't seem to be getting any better as 3.7 is perplexing...As I can't see an exception in 3.5 that would fit?
[LAWS]3.7 SENT OFF FOR FOUL PLAY
A player sent off for foul play must not be replaced or substituted. For an exception to this Law, refer to Law 3.5.[/LAWS]
Perhaps they meant to change that reference to 3.6? :shrug:
There are other references to 3.5 that will cause confusion.....damn that 12 y.o editor!

Last edited: