2018 Laws .. in goal

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Unless I have missed it, the new laws dont specify how you determine when to award a 5m scrum and when to award a 22m dropout

Thunderhorse1986

Referees in England
Post Likes
Unless I have missed it, the new laws dont specify how you determine when to award a 5m scrum and when to award a 22m dropout

Depends if you think advantage can be played by awarding the 22m drop out or not... :pepper:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Well, thats a different question, and answer to that lies in the Advantage Law.

But seriously , when the defenders touch down in their own in goal , there doesn't seem to be any Law that tells you what the restart is (dropout or 5m scrum)...

Old Law 22.7 is completely missing ..

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Its now covered in Law 12 (new book)

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
On this subject, have they missed out the restart for a knock on in the field of play going into in goal and being made dead?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
correct. It's missing (or I couldn't find it anyway)

Last week I had a knock in the field of play that went over the goal-line and over the DBL. (it was a tiny in-goal area).

I awarded a 5m scrum (which the defending captain did query).

That precise scenario isn't covered in either the 2017 or 2018 Law books, but the 5m scrum is easier to justify in the 2017 version. Working from the 2018 version alone I think you'd be hard-pressed to say what is the correct call.

Given that a grubber kick that goes over the DBL gives the defenders a choice of scrum or dropout you have to wonder what the Law makers thought processes are

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Given that a grubber kick that goes over the DBL gives the defenders a choice of scrum or dropout you have to wonder what the Law makers thought processes are
The kick is a deliberate act, so you are responsible for what happens.

The knock-on into in-goal at one time led to a 25 yard drop-out. However it was felt this was an excessive benefit compared to a knock-on elsewhere, so it was deliberately changed to be just a 5 yard scrum.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The kick is a deliberate act, so you are responsible for what happens.

The knock-on into in-goal at one time led to a 25 yard drop-out. However it was felt this was an excessive benefit compared to a knock-on elsewhere, so it was deliberately changed to be just a 5 yard scrum.

Do you think they have changed their mind back? Or do you think it's a mistake

They changed the position for a knock on into touch .. used to be scrum now it's option of scrum or lineout

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Do you think they have changed their mind back? Or do you think it's a mistake
I don't think they have changed their mind. The original change was made quite clear. I think changing the law by (some people's) inference is unlikely to be their intention.

They changed the position for a knock on into touch .. used to be scrum now it's option of scrum or lineout[/QUOTE]Yes, and they made that change explicit.