jynxy

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Gold drops-out and Blue #12 receives the ball. Blue #12 is immediately held by Gold #5 and a maul forms. The ball does not emerge. What do you do?

A. <input disabled="" name="answer" value="A" type="radio">Nothing; play on.
B. <input disabled="" name="answer" value="B" type="radio">Award a penalty kick to Blue.
C. <input disabled="" name="answer" value="C" CHECKED="" type="radio">Award a scrum, with Blue throwing-in.
D. <input disabled="" name="answer" value="D" type="radio">Award a scrum, with Gold throwing-in.

i answered C

but its saying D

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Not very helpful ddjamo :nono:

Maul formed, taken in by Blue.

Ball does not emerge, so it's a maul turnover.......Gold Scrum.
Use it or lose it fellahs.

Now you may be thinking about a maul formed straight form a kick, where there is no turnover......but that does not apply to a kick direct from a kick off or drop out.

See law 17.6 c-h

[LAWS](c) Scrum following maul. The ball is thrown in by the team not in possession when the maul
began. If the referee cannot decide which team had possession, the team moving forward
before the maul stopped throws in the ball. If neither team was moving forward, the
attacking team throws in the ball.

(d) When a maul remains stationary or has stopped moving forward for more than 5 seconds,
but the ball is being moved and the referee can see it, a reasonable time is allowed for the
ball to emerge. If it does not emerge within a reasonable time, a scrum is ordered.

(e) When a maul has stopped moving forward it may start moving forward again providing it
does so within 5 seconds. If the maul stops moving forward a second time and if the ball is
being moved and the referee can see it, a reasonable time is allowed for the ball to emerge.
If it does not emerge within a reasonable time, a scrum is ordered.

(f) When the ball in a maul becomes unplayable, the referee does not allow prolonged
wrestling for it. A scrum is ordered.

(g) If the ball carrier in a maul goes to ground, including being on one or both knees or sitting,
the referee orders a scrum unless the ball is immediately available.

(h) Scrum after a maul when catcher is held. If a player catches the ball direct from an
opponent’s kick, except from a kick-off or a drop-out, and the player is immediately held by
an opponent, a maul may form. Then if the maul remains stationary, stops moving forward
for longer than 5 seconds, or if the ball becomes unplayable, and a scrum is ordered, the
team of the ball catcher throws in the ball.

‘Direct from an opponent’s kick’ means the ball did not touch another player or the ground
before the player caught it.[/LAWS]

jynxy

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
it explained the answer as C but gave D as the correct answer?

that was all.

jynxy

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
ok yep, straight from a kickoff/drop out. thanks for reminding me, i need to read better

answer is correct

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
okay...my bad on "site" but I have found that having someone look something up rather than hand them the answer is better for them. then again, the english are quite accustomed to their nanny state so I can understand phil's confusion.

bryan...gave up the drink after scotland. may never go back.

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
bryan...gave up the drink after scotland. may never go back.

I had the same problem. No matter how much I drank there, the girls never got hotter. I assumed it was me drinking so much that it had no effect anymore. Nope.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I must have been hanging in the better fishing holes...the lassies in ed-in-brah were gorgeous....glasgow - saturday evening was a "cite" to behold.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I had the same problem. No matter how much I drank there, the girls never got hotter. I assumed it was me drinking so much that it had no effect anymore. Nope.

In this situation, a brown paper bag can help.

If that doesn't help, try two brown paper bags, the second one you use on yourself.

If you think the problem is more with the "drinking" rather then with the "girls not getting hooter oops, I mean hotter, you should follow the instructions in this chart.

DFFC.jpg

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
okay...my bad on "site" but I have found that having someone look something up rather than hand them the answer is better for them. then again, the english are quite accustomed to their nanny state so I can understand phil's confusion.

If he could have found the answer himself, he wouldn't have asked us?

ddjamo, we tell each other how to do things. It's the good ol' US of A that wants to tell the whole world how to run their lives?

jynxy, a belated welcome to the forum. Ask any questions you like. You might even find ddjamo helpful after he gets over his PMT!!