4th Game since ELRA2

rubyref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
White 17 black 24. Result was a fair reflection of the game. Conditions good.

Not sure of the level but not great quality (Level 11?) Not assessed but injured L7 ref came down to watch and provide advice - very much appreceated CT.

Was reasonably happy with some areas of my performance:

Briefing went OK although a bit scrappy in terms of timing of it as visitors were still turning up until after kickoff. Just realised as I'm typing that I didn't check one of the visitor's boots as he came onto the pitch 5 minutes after kickoff.

This was my first match this season after recovering from an injury over the summer. I was happy with my fitness and speed and felt I kept up with play although it wasn't particularly testing.

I thought I managed scrum engagement fairly well with a couple of collapses I couldn't pin on anyone and a couple of PKs for binding on arm. Had to halt CTPE a few times (with whistle) mainly due to poor touch (no release). Possibly should have gone to FK after first couple. Lots of barracking about feeding mainly from touchline but I thought it was OK. Possibly retired to back of scrum a bit quickly and therefore maybe not in best position to see it. Scrum session at society meeting last Wednesday was clearly helpful though.

Lineouts didn't really have any problems. Two FK (not five and numbers). Most lineouts had only 5 in so stayed at front as I felt I could see everything from there. However, said in briefing that I'd make a mark on 5 metre for non-throwing side then forgot to do it (except once).

Advantage used OK for scrum advantage, but tend to jump on penalties a bit quickly sometimes. Not a huge issue in this game though as most penalties were at breakdown with ball unavailable.

Three times black weren't ten from quick tap in first 15 minutes. Had a word with captain. Didn't happen again. One dangerous tackle (quiet word as I didn't think it was malicious) and one deliberate knock-on (YC).

Signals were OK, including secondaries most of the time. Whistle tone is still a bit random. Some very definite scrums and one or two possible penalties (if that makes sense).

What didn't go so well:

Tackle/ruck. I'd been determined to do better than my last trip out at the end of last season. Tried to manage with preventative calls. However, still struggling with this. Not getting first offence. Don't seem yet to have a pattern of play in mind. Quite a few penalties (mainly hands in, some tacakler staying on wrong side) but feel that I was pinging the 2nd or 3rd offence. Players got very frustrated with the tackle area. Some of it down to their lack of law understanding as some of the comments were total nonsense.

Discipline was a bit of a problem - all verbal. Lots of backchat. Called captains in early and told them I didn't need a commentary. It didn't improve much and I had to call them in again. With hindsight I should have escalated to cards but I left it too long. Backchat in second half seemed to gradually increase (not helped by a change in captaincy by white - very vocal).

Development areas:

Manage discipline - get on top of it early.
Tackle/ruck - need to work on spotting first offence. Look specifically for tackler release and move away.

Any help on measures to improve these two areas would be greatly appreciated. It's going to be a long journey but I am determined to crack this refereeing thing.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
That self-analysis is an excellent start.

Try hard to be first to the breakdown. It might help you to use a quick whistle at breakdowns if you feel you did not see the first offence. It can be a flash point if teams feel the opponents are getting away with murder.

When you do the toss, tell the captains that you are relying on them to discipline their players so that you don't have to. Crack down on comments, advice etc right from the start. ATP (Ask, Tell, Penalise). Any offensive comments get a penalty first, then a card. Do not allow legitimate questions from captains to become a discussion. Don't worry about seeming harsh. They can play better if they stop trying to referee as well.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Try hard to be first to the breakdown.

Indeed - very important.

If you're not getting to the breakdown early enough have a think about why.

Are you not anticipating and therefore slow off the mark?
Are you mentally still mulling on your last decision instead of being ready for your next?
Is fitness a problem for you?
Are your running lines right?
Are you approaching the breakdown from either too far in front or too far behind the ball?
Are you in best position in previous phase? (ie if you're always at front of lineout you'll have another 15 - 20 metres to cover to the next breakdown)

Just some food for thought.