6th Feb 13 HPR

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
Some good advice.

The Big Five

Tackle – you should be the third person arriving at the the tackle, tackler to release, tackled player to exercise their options, tackler assist to clearly release and be through the gate, arriving players on their feet and through the gate.

Ruck – Offside lines to be adhered to strictly.

Kicks – offside at kicks to be monitored (remember, you are offside even when the ball is in touch when you prevent a quick throw-in). Request players to “Stop” - if they do not respond, penalize or play advantage.

Maul formation and obstruction

Scrum – Crouch, Touch, Set – Keep the tighthead straight, interlock correct and engage on “Set”. Often when the scrum collapses on “Set” the loosehead is not binding, and if the scrum collapses a period after the engage it is the tighthead taking it down. Do not guess, rather reset if you are unsure. PR’s will on most occasions give you the benefit of the doubt.

Cynical Fouls – Focus on how players respond under pressure and deliberately affect ball retention/recycle, etc. Be very aware of not focusing too much on repeated infringements as this becomes a grey area where you often paint yourself into a corner and feel forced to issue unwarranted yellow cards.

Set your standards early to allow players to understand your expectations from the outset.

You are part of the game, the 31st player – enjoy yourself... the game is for everyone... players, coaches, administrators, spectators, officials... We all work together to make this great game the best!

- - - Updated - - -

Based on the games I've done this year the tackle area is the easiest way to get the game flowing. I think there should be a real focus on getting the tackler to move instead of just releasing.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
good post stu...I didn't see this. I'm emailing mirrs tonight or tomorrow...there shoujld be a few new members in here soon. lets all get together and post ideas/vids and get some questions and comments coming in.