7's Virgin

RugbyGeek

Referees in England
Post Likes
...been asked to ref in my first ever 7's tourney this weekend....any advice?:chin:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
...been asked to ref in my first ever 7's tourney this weekend....any advice?:chin:

How is your anaerobic fitness? :biggrin:

Remember...

1. kickers are only allowed 30 seconds to take a kick at goal from the time of indicating, and forty seconds for a conversion from the time the try is scored. All kicks for goal must be with a drop kick.

2. Scrums. A couple of things to keep in mind

► front row players simply form two rows with interlocking heads to make a tunnel between them.

► Front row players are not allowed to kick the ball through the opposing scrum toward the opposition goal line.

3. There are a number of difference in the kick-off/restart laws. Errors made at the restart which would be scrums in fifteens are a FK in Sevens, e.g.

► not 10m
► kick taken ahead of halfway
► players ahead of the kick
► kick directly into touch (no option)
► kick into in-goal and grounded by the defence (no option).

also, the team that has just scored kicks the restart

RugbyGeek

Referees in England
Post Likes
How is your anaerobic fitness? :biggrin:

Remember...

1. kickers are only allowed 30 seconds to take a kick at goal from the time of indicating, and forty seconds for a conversion from the time the try is scored. All kicks for goal must be with a drop kick.

2. Scrums. A couple of things to keep in mind

► front row players simply form two rows with interlocking heads to make a tunnel between them.

► Front row players are not allowed to kick the ball through the opposing scrum toward the opposition goal line.

3. There are a number of difference in the kick-off/restart laws. Errors made at the restart which would be scrums in fifteens are a FK in Sevens, e.g.

► not 10m
► kick taken ahead of halfway
► players ahead of the kick
► kick directly into touch (no option)
► kick into in-goal and grounded by the defence (no option).

also, the team that has just scored kicks the restart

Ian,

This is fantastic!!

Many thanks Sir

Stephe

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
In the scrum - make sure the props bind to the hooker, and not to each other, allowing the hooker to slide out the back quickly....

run with the defence, not the attack.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

RugbyGeek

Referees in England
Post Likes
In the scrum - make sure the props bind to the hooker, and not to each other, allowing the hooker to slide out the back quickly....

Fair to say I'll be breathing through my arse 2 mins into the 1st half of the 1st game :swet:

Luckily I'll be the biggest guy on the filed - so chances are they'll be too scared to say anything :rolleyes:

AlanT

Referees in England
Post Likes
Clean posession is good enough for "advantage over".

Drink regularly. Don't forget to eat.

Vaseline to avoid blisters. Sun cream handy.

Organisers / pitch marshalls will really appreciate it if you are at the pitch in good time and hang around after a match to make sure the next ref's arrived.

RugbyGeek

Referees in England
Post Likes
Clean posession is good enough for "advantage over".

Drink regularly. Don't forget to eat.

Vaseline to avoid blisters. Sun cream handy.

Organisers / pitch marshalls will really appreciate it if you are at the pitch in good time and hang around after a match to make sure the next ref's arrived.

Great advice! Much appreciated

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Fair to say I'll be breathing through my arse 2 mins into the 1st half of the 1st game :swet:

Luckily I'll be the biggest guy on the filed - so chances are they'll be too scared to say anything :rolleyes:

Also luckily, the halves are only seven minutes long, so at 2 minutes into the game, you're only five minutes from half time :biggrin:

ckuxmann

Referees in America
Post Likes
Biggest thing is keeping the breakdown clean, work hard within the first few mins to make sure that they are getting out quickly and that the opposition is allowing for a play of the ball by the team in possession. Also if you YC it's only 2 mins.

RugbyGeek

Referees in England
Post Likes
...quick update...

all advice came in handy.

probably best advice was running the D line - definitely helped.

Reffed 10 games in two days, including 2 finals - so mustn't have sucked too badly :biggrin:

gwgs

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
What's this D line you speak of?

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
What's this D line you speak of?
It's this:
In open play there's going to be a lot of side-to-side ball, so referees will sometimes take up a position behind the defensive line so that they dont get in the way of a quick change in direction, and so that the attacking team dont use them as a "pick" for obstruction.

Anticipation of the overlap/gap is basically what's going to keep you from getting burned back at the halfway line as the gas-man dots it down.

Roll on USA v Chile!

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
What is this anticipation you speak of?:horse:

gwgs

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Ah cool, I think that's what I tended to do at the last sevens tourny.

Cheated at kick off standing on the 10 metre... although in my defence the other ref hadn't turned up so I had to do 9 games in a row. :p Looong day.