90-Degree Turnover: New Scrum or Same Scrum?

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
The below-quoted text can be found on the SA Refs Duty Ref Area.

Stu Berry - Duty Ref said:
2. Name: Jack
Question: Hi there, I was wondering what the official interpretation is when a scrum turnover happens after the 80 minutes are up? I've seen it ruled two different ways this season in the Super 15. (Highlanders vs Crusaders and Force vs Waratahs if I remember correctly).
Cheers
Stu Berry: Hi Jack. It’s an interesting one, and you are spot on. A scrum that collapses and gets reset is the same scrum, and so is incomplete. A scrum that is a turnover through 90 degrees is a new scrum, and so time needs to be called once the turnover has been completed.

One for the designated members, perhaps? The above bolded text is NOT how I would expect it to be refereed, so I'm wondering if this is in fact a new application of law, or whether I'm simply old hat.

KML, this could be your vindication! :cool:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I would like to see Stu justify that in Law, because turning through 90 degrees is not one of the ways that a scrum ends successfully on Law 20.10

The 90° wheeled scrum used to result in the same team feeding until 2000 when the turnover was introduced as an ELV. It remained an ELV until incorporated in 2009.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
But

[LAWS]20.4 THE TEAM THROWING THE BALL INTO THE SCRUM

(e) When a scrum remains stationary and the ball does not emerge immediately a further scrum is ordered at the place of the stoppage. The ball is thrown in by the team not in possession at the time of the stoppage.

(f) When a scrum becomes stationary and does not start moving immediately, the ball must emerge immediately. If it does not a further scrum will be ordered. The ball is thrown in by the team not in possession at the time of the stoppage.

(g) If a scrum collapses or lifts up into the air without sanction a further scrum will be ordered and the team who originally threw in the ball will throw the ball in again.[/LAWS]

The game cannot end om any of these occasions.

I am uncomfortable with the idea that a team can end a match by wheeling a scrum.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I am sure (as far as I can be with my memory) that in a match that Chris White refereed he had the match continue after a wheeled scrum with time expired.

Mike Whittaker

Referees in England
Post Likes
To my mind it is just another reset. Nobody has infringed and no sanction has been applied - just a turnover of the ball for the reformed scrum. No way the game is ended.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Can the match end on a FK?