a couple of interesting observations from Wellington

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
1. this one was just freakish. Player is tackled, both players go to ground and tackler releases. As tackler gets to feet to jackle he grabs tackled player's ankle and just kind of lifts his leg. In so doing, he brings tackled player back to his feet, ball and all. Tackled player, now back on feet, passes ball. Just looked weird.

2. this happened a couple of times and players got away with it. Tackle assist, on 'wrong' side of tackle, releases tackled player and just ... stands there - not going for ball and not retiring. Stands there, taking up space, so that tackled player's team mate is delayed getting to the ball. Worked a treat. Remember, this is all split second stuff in 7s. Is it illegal?

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
1. Illegal for him to play the leg, but the tackled player appears to have exercised his ability to "play, place or release" the ball, so play on, and have a word later.

2. Yes - illegal if in the tackle zone, if not in the tackle zone, then nothing wrong with it! (No offside at tackle). I expect a tackle assist is "close" to the tackle, so should need to move. But if they play it well, then the tackle assist is far enough to not be considered in the zone, so not illegal. It is one where the interpretation of the ref is key.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
1. tackled player, once on the floor has an obligation to release the ball before getting to his feet.
I can't see how the tackler can lift him to his feet by holding his ankle??????

2. as FF says.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
1. Illegal for him to play the leg, but the tackled player appears to have exercised his ability to "play, place or release" the ball, so play on, and have a word later.

2. Yes - illegal if in the tackle zone, if not in the tackle zone, then nothing wrong with it! (No offside at tackle). I expect a tackle assist is "close" to the tackle, so should need to move. But if they play it well, then the tackle assist is far enough to not be considered in the zone, so not illegal. It is one where the interpretation of the ref is key.

Is it possible to be a TA without being in the TZ ???

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Agree, with the proviso that even if he is just outside the tackle zone (say 1½m away), if he prevents the acting SH from getting to the ball, then that is obstruction.

[LAWS]LAW 10.1 (d) Blocking the ball. A player must not intentionally move or stand in a position that prevents an opponent from playing the ball.
Sanction: Penalty kick[/LAWS]

The player approaching the tackle to act as SH is entitled to direct access to the ball without having to go around opponents or have them taking get in his way.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I can't see how the tackler can lift him to his feet by holding his ankle??????

Yes, hard to picture, I know.

Think baseball runner sliding into 2nd and popping up onto feet fluidly