A fallen referee, Cap Pelletier

mkottke

Referees in America
Post Likes
Cap Pelletier of the Southern California referee society unexpectedly passed away a few days ago. He was an great referee and wonderful man. He lived a very fruitful and exciting life. He gave back to the game more than many combined.
I will miss the man!

A service for Cap on Thursday June 21, at Ft. Rosecrans in San Diego.
It will start at 9:00am and all are welcome.

-----

Dear Fellow Ruggers:

We lost Cap Pelletier only days ago, but it seems that we already have missed him for a long time. We miss his presence, his tireless effort, and zest for our sport and what it represents. To some rugby represents a form of exercise, entertainment, sport, and\or social gathering. To Cap and others like him it was also part his being. Cap belongs to the ages now; we preferred it when he belonged to us.
Cap had a good life. In that good life, he valued above all his wife, Barbara. Those watched Cap realized that when he was in a crowded environment, there was only one person who could make him lonely by just leaving the room. Rugby honors you, Barbara, for the time, sacrifice and joy you allowed this man to bestowed on us, and to that journey's end. Today, our rugby nation grieves with you and your family.

Death has done all that death can do. As Cap Pelletier goes his way, we are left with the joyful convictions he shared. In his last couple years, Cap's health was an issue. Despite his health, Cap never ceased to spend his time improving rugby, its referees and youth.

Cap's departure is stern reminder that we are all brief visitors on this little planet which we believe is the center of the universe. All too soon, we look to that fine day when we will see him again, all weariness gone, strong and smiling. Until that time comes, let's not take for granted what we have. Cap would frequently say when a bold idea was presented, "well, why the heck not. Seize the moment."

May God bless Cap Pelletier, his wife Barbara and all of us who had the pleasure and the honor having him part of our lives. In lieu of flowers, Cap's wife, Barbara, has requested that you make donations to Southern California Youth Rugby. Cap would have wanted it that way. Please send any donations to: 1286 University Ave Ste 703, San Diego, CA 92103-3312.

Note: Cap died on June 6, 2007 due to complications from Gastrointestinal surgery. Cap's funeral is at 9:00 a.m. Thursday June 21, at Ft. Rosecrans in San Diego. All are welcome.

Southern California Rugby Referees Society

Last edited:

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
He was an exceptionally good host when I was in LA for the PAC-10 tournament. He picked me up a day early and we painted the town red before all the other referees arrived! I have no doubt that he will be sorely missed.

ExHookah

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
That's very sad. I knew Cap, he evaluated me in April of 2006 in San Diego. A very nice guy.

I won't be able to make it out to SD for his service, but I'll try to think of a way to pay tribute to him the next time I referee.

chef11

Referees in America
Post Likes
It is sad that we have lost a Referee that loved the game and was dedicated to his Society and to making the game better.I am sure that he will continue now hat he is part of the Rugby Gods that some how make the game even out when the ref misses a call.

We will miss him greatly.:sad: