a little embarassed

pwhaling

Referees in America
Post Likes
Wolrabs:225069 said:
He didn't trry to roll away then!
Off his feet too. That close to in goal I'm thinking yellow.
The best part if that video is the black 9 not having the slightest idea what to do.

Sifakea39

Referees in America
Post Likes
It seems that too many referees in the top level get run over/tackled or in the way because of their position. i.e. Waiting in the tackle/gain line. What happen to being in the saddle position anymore?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
It seems that too many referees in the top level get run over/tackled or in the way because of their position. i.e. Waiting in the tackle/gain line. What happen to being in the saddle position anymore?

Do you mean the chariot position?
Referees are discouraged from using that position because you can't see as much.

Sifakea39

Referees in America
Post Likes
Yes, chariot position if you're in England I guess.

Is that why?

Are we keeping track of how many times in a match the referees get in the way...or get cracked for being in the tackle/gain line?

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
If the ref is aware of players and potential running lines then he can ensure he gets out of the way. Saddle/Chariot is often used by very new refs, but it makes it hard to see offside lines, and to tell what is actually happening in the ruck - you get a very one sided view.

get into the neutral zone, between the two lines of back feet, but more toward the ball winning team, face 3/4 angle on to it - start off close in - locate the ball then move away from the ruck on the same line - watch for runners coming to use you as a shield.