A mid-season off-season

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
So if you feel like your leg is numb and weak, get it checked out.

Turns out my "weak hamstring" is actually a "herniated disc with disc fragments along my spine as well as a disc protrusion".

Who gets to see the surgeon on Tuesday? THIS guy!

Woohoo!

:pepper:

Seriously though, going from local GP (that's PCP in US-speak) to MRI to Ortho-surgeon in the space of a week is damn impressive.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
Well that royally sucks ass.

AN¥ theory on what caused it?

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
AN¥ theory on what caused it?
I try to put it down to a few "acute" parts of training, but I really have no idea. I keep thinking "maybe it was this", but then I remember I did x a few days later (e.g. my legs were sore last weekend, but I cleaned 215# and PR'd without injury, so no idea). I didnt start really feeling the soreness/weakness until this week, but I did feel some numbness in my leg last month, but that feeling went away. There's no smoking gun in this; I had no idea it was a back issue (or maybe just praying that it wasnt) until I heard from my doctor/radiologist.

:shrug:

Easy to be positive about it when I read players are missing entire summer tours; I dont get paid for this stuff, and I'm in (relatively) good health! I'm hoping for a Lazarus-like recovery, but that's probably where I need to be smart and not overdo it too quickly too soon. Gotta take this with a lot of maturity; too many folks would stuff it and I'm not one for giving up so easily.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
You were so close to 2 plates a side and now you're crocked:frown:

I know that my lower back injury stems from a period of snatching earlier in the year and that's been a pain in the arse to get rid of; hopefully you'll be back out sooner rather than later.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Bugger. Sorry to hear it Bryan. But i guess at least you know the problem and I hope you have a speedy recovery. 2 years ago I had similar hamstring issue and pain. Physio thought it was caused neurally like yours but MRI was all clear. Took 18 months to narrow my issue to inflammation in tendons with pain moving all around my glutes and through legs down to Achilles. Just started to get on top of it.

While we are on talking about mid season breaks im having my own too . Just when I was making headway in improving my refereeing and getting some good appointments and I was just coming good with my legs, i was doing some mountain bike riding as cross training and I had a nasty crash. Basically I went over the handle bars from 1-2 metres up and landed on the back of my head and back and managed to give my self hairline fractures in C1 and T3-T5 (with wedge compression) in my spine. I'm currently in an MJ neck brace for 6-8 weeks (about 4 to go). No work, no driving...just rest. I'm hoping I'm not out for the remainder of our season, but very happy that I got off lightly and can walk and will make a full recovery.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
So if you feel like your leg is numb and weak, get it checked out.

Turns out my "weak hamstring" is actually a "herniated disc with disc fragments along my spine as well as a disc protrusion".

Who gets to see the surgeon on Tuesday? THIS guy!

Woohoo!

:pepper:

Seriously though, going from local GP (that's PCP in US-speak) to MRI to Ortho-surgeon in the space of a week is damn impressive.

Good luck with the rehabilitation.

It's a year since my back "went" and it was 2 months before I could run without my leg wobbling (as opposed to my torso which always does).

All the best.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Hey - he used the word "royally"!

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
could be worse - when i was in Missouri a couple of years ago, a few people thought i was french.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
I still like using this one:

them: what part of Australia are you from
me: the orignal part:eng:
To which you reply "Yes, you Canadians often find the British accent confusing."

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
You were so close to 2 plates a side and now you're crocked:frown:

I know that my lower back injury stems from a period of snatching earlier in the year and that's been a pain in the arse to get rid of; hopefully you'll be back out sooner rather than later.

DR Stu please explain "snatching" The word Snatch can mean a few things over here!!

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
DR Stu please explain "snatching" The word Snatch can mean a few things over here!!

Hopefully it's snatch as opposed to clean and jerk although that's another folder on Dickie's computer.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
the olympic version of the snatch not the Saturday night version of the snatch:pepper: