[Law] Advantage question

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Yes. The referee hasn't said 'Advantage Over' then advantage wasn't over.

Yes, this is where we disagree. The referee's verbalization follows the play on the pitch, not the other way around.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yes. The referee hasn't said 'Advantage Over' then advantage wasn't over.

Yes, this is where we disagree. The referee's verbalization follows the play on the pitch, not the other way around.

I see where you're coming from, but to me it's about management and keeping the respect of the players. I'd be loathe to ping them if I hadn't actually called advantage over because I'd have a very hard time selling "no, advantage was over, I just hadn't said it yet" without everyone thinking I'm being a dick.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'd be loathe to ping them if I hadn't actually called advantage over because I'd have a very hard time selling "no, advantage was over, I just hadn't said it yet" without everyone thinking I'm being a dick.

this !

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I'd rather be explaining that advantage was over even though I had omitted to call "Advantage over" (in a situation where it clearly was) than go back to the infringement just because I had not called "Advantage over".

Either way you look like a dick but in one way you know you're correct.

If you think that advantage can't end 'til you say so then do you also think that it can't exist if you don't say so?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'd rather be explaining that advantage was over even though I had omitted to call "Advantage over" (in a situation where it clearly was) than go back to the infringement just because I had not called "Advantage over".
Either way you look like a dick but in one way you know you're correct.

I am still not sure if you are talking about outlier edge cases [like swallowing that fly, or when things happen in split seconds] or whether you are just routinely failing to shout advantage over, just because that's the way you like to ref it ?
You haven't really said?

If we are talking about outlier edge cases, it's a pointless conversation. I don't disagree, If a fly gets swallowed, or the pea falls out of your whistle then no rule really covers it, you recover the best you can, explain and make the decision that seems best.

If it's the way you like to ref, then I don't think it's a good way.

I
If you think that advantage can't end 'til you say so then do you also think that it can't exist if you don't say so?

Yes, of course!

If Red knock on, you don't blow your whistle, and you don't say anything, and you don't signal, then the players will all think that you have just missed it.

Don't tell me you play advantage without telling anyone? It must drive the players (and spectators) crazy wondering if you have spotted the offence or not.

Of course you must announce, and signal, that you are playing advantage.

Last edited:

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Read my post 73 and you'll not question that I advocate communication with players and when I refereed I followed that protocol to the best of my ability.

Here is where we differ. You believe that advantage isn't over until you say so. I believe that advantage is over when the run of play deem it so and communicating that to the players will always trail the actuality.

Thus, back in the OP, when the BC gets the ball into goal, advantage has ended as per my protocol. Quite OK with me if you say it hasn't unless he scores the try (as some would want). But I don't think advantage being over is dependent on you saying so.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Here is where we differ. You believe that advantage isn't over until you say so. I believe that advantage is over when the run of play deem it so and communicating that to the players will always trail the actuality.

TBH I think we're spending an awful lot of time on something that really isn't an issue.

I'd be interested to know, Chris, how many times you've had something happen between you deciding advantage is over and saying advantage is over. And I'm guessing the gap between you thinking and starting to speak is far shorter than it takes you to say "advantage over".

For me, I've had one situation when I've gone "Adva- [sh1t] [PEEEP!]. Sorry lads, I'd started to call advantage over", but I can't think of any where something's happened in the split second before I was about to call AO (though granted, that's less likely to stick in my memory).

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
DocY, you are quite correct on all points! The debate is useful to explore the laws and conventions of the game even though sometimes it winds up niggling ad nauseum about the picayune.

It can also expose those rare events that you are not prepared for. At this point most people will have stopped reading the thread.