[Ruck] Advantage

vimpe22

Referees in Sri Lanka
Post Likes
The question relates to the first penalty to blue in the video link below. Time 05.20 to 05.40

1. Referee indicates ruck is over.
2. Advantage for Green because blue player incorrect entry . Question mark.
3 There does not seem to be any clear or real advantage to blues .
4 Advantage has over as per referee and P tp Blue and concerted .
4 impact high as Green won 21- 19.

Appreciate comments.

http://www.thepapare.com/match-highlights-st-josephs-college-v-isipathana-college-qf-3/

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I think the ref got himself in a hole and tried to dig himself out.

I think he got the "not releasing" call wrong too as the jackler got blown away as soon as he touched the ball. What my friend Drift would describe as "not surviving the clean out".

Last edited:

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I think the ref got himself in a hole and tried to dig himself out.

I think he got the "not releasing" call wrong too as the jackler got blown away as soon as he touched the ball. What my friend Drift would describe as "not surviving the clean out".

I can't think of a better example of not surviving the clean out.

vimpe22 - remember we want the jackler to be in a position of strength (feet under hips and weight on their feet) if they are in a good position of strength then we need them to survive that first clean out attempt. If they don't then they haven't done enough to win the ball for me and don't deserve the PK.

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Just 3 brainfarts from the referee in quick succession.

He appears to call the ball out (correctly - though whether he needs to say it and keep saying it is debatable).

However he then appears to play advantage to Green (and maybe gives a secondary signal of in the side??) [brainfart 1];

This advantage lasts all of a few seconds and there is clearly no advantage [brainfart 2];

He blows a PK for a holding on where the jackler does not appear to get hands on the ball, let alone hang on long enough to indicate the ball carrier is holding on [brainfart 3].

I can sympathise. I can recall once or twice making a series of increasingly irrational decisions in a very short period - each decision worse than the previous. Being flustered begets more fluster.

On the other hand, it is very early on in the game to be making cockups like that, and he looks very calm and far from flustered when he awards the PK. How was he for the rest of the game?

MadRef77

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
The advantage might have been for tackling the man without the ball although I reckon it looks like he is calling "in from the side". The rest is a sequence of brain farts indeed :(

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The advantage might have been for tackling the man without the ball although I reckon it looks like he is calling "in from the side". The rest is a sequence of brain farts indeed :(

we all have them, luckily most of ours aren’t caught on film and shared on this forum :scot:

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Early in the game so trying to set out your standards, but boy did he have a mare with this passage of play.

As has been mentioned earlier, this all happened just over 5 minutes into the match :sad: