Age restrictions

spikeno10

Player or Coach
Post Likes
I'm trying to find details of age restrictions for referees. Am told referees under 18 have to referee games at an age group lower than they would play. Can't find this anywhere and am wondering if we have another urban myth......

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
it's more likely to be recommended best practice than a hard and fast rule. i can't see an U17s team, for example, paying a great deal of attention to a 15 year old ref. even if they are of a more than suitable standard.

jeff

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Hi spikeno)
The age for a young referee to take the elra course can be as young as 14.
but societys would like for that person to stay to an age below themselves for experiance etc.
But it is down to the person themselves how they progress.
My son started at on his course at 14 and ws doing a lot of games and was doing so well had a few games at u17 and u19 whilst nearly 15. he then reffed his first mens TVL league game when he was 15. he is now just gone 19 and has allready done a few level 8 and reffs and lot of level 9 games.
Its not how old you are, its how good you are.
He Will need an adult with him untill the age of 18 at all his games.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
How about
I assessed a Level 7 match whaich was reffed by a 16 yo from Gloucester, the bloke was brilliant. I reffd the home team two weeks later, and their coach said after "Thanks, great game ref. But that kid was better."

Chickref

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
No restrictions here. Registering with an association doesn't have an age limit, and this year Wellington have a new 13 year old. The young 'uns are always told the same things - The players have to listen to you, you have the whistle and cards.

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Here it is 2 years below up to age 15 (ie a 14 year old can't do higher than Under 12), but after that away you go