Alan Lewis TMS

Brian Ravenhill

Referees in England
Post Likes
Alan Lewis the AR during England’s recent game against France is currently in India acting as a summarizer for Test Match Special.
On Wednesday 2nd March he will give his 'View From the Boundary' with Jonathon Agnew during the lunch interval of the England Ireland cricket match. May be worth a listen. Alan player cricket for Ireland prior to taking up refereeing seriously.

The umpire

Referees in England
Post Likes
Nothing much of interest on the rugby front, except...he'd like to see the TMO brought in on the players' call. i.e. Make the ref make a decision (like we in the weeds do) and then let the players challenge it like they have in cricket at the mo.:chin:

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
Nothing much of interest on the rugby front, except...he'd like to see the TMO brought in on the players' call. i.e. Make the ref make a decision (like we in the weeds do) and then let the players challenge it like they have in cricket at the mo.:chin:

That wouldn't happen in rugby as there'd be uproar as what the referee says is final. Sole judge of fact and law and all that!

Having said that I'm surprised cricket introduced it.

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
Well, it does make sense in that there are times when a batsman can be 100% sure that he didn't edge it to the keeper, or that he hit it into his pads. I don't think there's a similar situation in rugby, where a player knows something for sure, can be reliably trusted to know it for sure (because if he refers it when he did in fact edge it, he's going to be immediately exposed as a liar and a cheat), and is the only person who knows with certainty what happened.

Sure, the DRS gets used in other situations, but to my mind that's what it's there for, so the unfortunate batsman who's just suffered a ridiculous howler of a decision can put up or shut up.