Anarchy at the breakdown

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Indeed repeated law changes are not the answer. The laws as were could have given us a positive game IF they were enforced and if sides WANT to play positive rugby. By discouraging a contest we are encouraging negetive play. If we can't compete for the ball we are going to slow it down as much as possible OR we fan out and pressure for mistakes rather than be creative.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
If one reads the LotG one will realise that they are actually written to favour the attacking side.

I agree that at the top level there are many instances of the 'Tackle Ruck' being formed by a ball carrying team-mate going off their feet and sealing off. However, we are not privy to the pre-season meeting between coaches, referees and TV officials that agree what is and what isn't allowed.

The same Laws are applied throughout all levels of the game, but they enforced differently at the different levels

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
If you are alowed to seal off at the top level then the law is NOT being applied.

If you allow crooked feeds to the scrum then the law is NOT being applied.

If you want to give the side in possession an advantage fine. If you want to make the contest redundant then I'm out.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
If you are alowed to seal off at the top level then the law is NOT being applied.

If you allow crooked feeds to the scrum then the law is NOT being applied.

If you want to give the side in possession an advantage fine. If you want to make the contest redundant then I'm out.

This ^^^^^

However, I'm willing to haggle over where, when and how the advantages to the attacking team (in possession) are dished out.

If your going to gift scrums to the feeding team then a. don't automatically PK the defending team if the front row goes down, b. allow the defenders to wheel any way they want (not thru 90) to either direct how the attackers play the ball and c. if the attackers drive then force the ball to be played if there is any falter going forward.

At the tackle either a. make the tackled player get the hell out of there (that'll never happen), b. if the defenders get their hands on the ball then let then get it back and don't make them give it up if they get engaged. Defenders will pick their spots to try for the ball on isolated players so give 'em a fair crack at it.

There are some others but you get my drift.