Any Welsh refs happen to know.....

stuart3826

Referees in England
Post Likes
......anything about Bonymaen 2nds? They're in our area on tour this weekend, and I've been appointed to one of their matches

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
As a club they can be "tasty". no specific issues though. Set your stall out early and call early rather than late.

stuart3826

Referees in England
Post Likes
Cheers for that. I usually work that way. I also understand Welsh swear words. Tidy.

stuart3826

Referees in England
Post Likes
As a club they can be "tasty". no specific issues though. Set your stall out early and call early rather than late.
No shit, Sherlock.

They rocked up 30 minutes late, loud and not listening at the briefing. I set out my stall, and off we went. They would not listen to warnings, and after a few near flare ups, a player who was on his last warning put in a challenge after the ball had been passed twice. Somewhat unsurprisingly, the recipient of the challenge lost it and threw a punch, which missed. Players from both sides joined in the fun.

Having separated them and got culprits and fighters over for a chat, the conversation went like this.

Ref "What happens now is this. I talk, you listen."
Black skipper "But worrabout ...."
Ref "You don't appear to understand. I talk, you listen"
BS "But......"
Ref "What I have seen is this. Black 16 attempted a tackle on Red 19, long after the ball has gone. Red 19 has thrown a punch. This is a tour match, you have come to enjoy a game of rugby. Both sides, play rugby. Put the lid on it now. Both players :noyc: , both skippers, have a word with your teams." (paraphrased for brevity)

Mark made on 5m line. Black skipper, 2 m off try line asks "Ref are we 10?"
I reply, "behind the line please"

Red take penalty, second receiver takes an arm across the throat, all kicks off again. Having restored calm, I call both skippers, and both players, intending to put them both in the bin. Black skipper remonstrates "I asked if we were 10, you didn't answer" Black player just out of eyeline so I can't see who it is - "You are f**cking ruining this game, you twat!"

So I blew up, "End of game, this isn't rugby"

15 minutes later, one of the Welsh players is reffing the game, still in his tour fancy dress.

Nice end to the season. Makes me really proud to be half English and half Welsh. Not.

Mat 04

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
See now why I apologised in advance? :D

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Laon vs Winchester, at Winchester, 1997 (I think)

I was doing the line. Abandoned after, ooooh, 5 minutes.

stuart3826

Referees in England
Post Likes
Not having got to the suicidal point of post match depression, I decided to give that a miss.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
what does the society say about that, or is it condoned?

Scarlet Al

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
It is not condoned, but is accepted as part and parcel of the game.

FYI - The original comment was - In this district, if I would have abandoned a game every time someone said I was ruining the game or called me a twat, I would have abandoned 35-40% of my games, possibly more, this season.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
It is not condoned, but is accepted as part and parcel of the game.

That's a distinction without a difference. All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing (Burke)

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
They rocked up 30 minutes late, loud and not listening at the briefing. I set out my stall, and off we went.

Sadly, how many really do listen?

...They would not listen to warnings, and after a few near flare ups, a player who was on his last warning put in a challenge after the ball had been passed twice.

So why did he not get a card?

15 minutes later, one of the Welsh players is reffing the game, still in his tour fancy dress.

If that happened in Wales I would put a report in. The game has been officially abandoned. That in itself requires a report. Also was the player qualified to ref? Here a ref must be both qualified and appointed to be insured (if a ref is injured he can be replaced.)

Nice end to the season. Makes me really proud to be half English and half Welsh. Not.

I am not sure what you are trying to imply here.

Last edited:

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
i certainly wouldn't have stood for any comments like "you're ruining the game, you twat". if the relevant authorities don't support referees who red card and report things like this, i'd guess the root cause is there rather than more players being tossers.

stuart3826

Referees in England
Post Likes
ATTR - he did get a card.

My point here I suppose is to be found on an old favourite T-Shirt of mine. "Instant Asshole, just add alcohol", and I don't see why I should have to ref under those conditions.

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Sorry missed the card reference.

Did you put in a CoC referencing the abandonment and BOTH sides playing on after you had abandoned the game?