Staff member
Post Likes
That was Bryce-esque in its ineptitude

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'm going with 2 red cards. One to each of Green 7 & 2.

I think Blue captain raises a good point.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Did the ref say he had a video replay? He then went on to say the kick to the head wasn't too bad.
IT'S STILL A F@$&?"! KICK TO THE HEAD!!!

RCs to 2 & 7 Green and a big uppercut to the ref

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'm going with 2 red cards. One to each of Green 7 & 2.

I think Blue captain raises a good point.

Did the ref say he had a video replay? He then went on to say the kick to the head wasn't too bad.
IT'S STILL A F@$&?"! KICK TO THE HEAD!!!

RCs to 2 & 7 Green and a big uppercut to the ref

Saw this game live.

I couldn't believe the referee didn't go for double red.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Green 7 (skipper) must've been shitting himself when the ref called him over then absolute relief when the ref asked to speak to #2

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Is a citing possible?
I was thinking Red and Red and a long ban.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Actually quite impressed by the blue captain - I thought his response was very measured!

Much less impressed with the referee. I guess he really didn't want to go to a disciplinary hearing!

ianh5979

Referees in England
Post Likes
Couldn't see from the video the way blue landed, definitely red for the kick to 2, red/yellow to 7 for me

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
The referee needs re-calibrating!

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
Nothing makes sense here.

The referee was not watching the ball - going from 'green' #9 out to #10 - but rather looking back at the 'breakdown' between seconds 4 and 6 of the video, in which the commentator says "dangerous tackle, tip tackle for one".

Then, the unanimous verdict here. I don't always agree with Ian_Cook, but this is just a real head-scratcher. School players, no matter how good they may be, are still not adults. A kick to the head, even if it is to the skull, remains a ****ing kick to the head. It is an RC for adults, never mind kids, in my book and apparently that of everybody else that has posted, too.

I agree with WTF.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
2 red cards for sure

Most unimpressive response by blue, I would expect my teammates to get involved ASAP. Yellow 2 even gets a hug from his Captain on his way out.

Paule23

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I'm very impressed with the blue captain, a couple of rather incredulous 'yellow?" Git his point across and he left it at that. Whilst most of us agree RC for green 2 purely for the boot, the blue captain showed how you can/should disagree, but then accept the decision. A lesson to all in respect for the game and the official.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Is a citing possible?
I was thinking Red and Red and a long ban.
WR Discipline makes it clear that if the referee sees the incident, no citing is possible.

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
WR Discipline makes it clear that if the referee sees the incident, no citing is possible.

Are you sure about that? Also, he saw the kick but did he see the tip (which the kicker assisted)?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Couldn't see from the video the way blue landed

Lift + Tip + Drive + Landed on upper back = RC in my book... all day, every day

Are you sure about that? Also, he saw the kick but did he see the tip (which the kicker assisted)?

Rushforth, I think SimonSmith is right (but I will ask around).

At this level, I doubt that there would have been a Citing Officer appointed, and I recall someone saying that in the absence of a Citing Officer, a citing at this level can only be made for incidents that the referee did not see or address on the field. The citing referral must be made by the opposition within a specified period of time.

ETA

Yep, here it is

WR Regulation 17.11 Matches where Citing Commissioners are not Appointed

17.11.1 For Matches where, in accordance with Regulation 17.8.3 or 17.8.6, it is not reasonably practicable for a Citing Commissioner to be appointed, the following shall apply:

(a) Each team participating in a Match, or any of its authorised officials,or its Union, may cite:

(i) a Player(s) for an act(s) of alleged Foul Play committed during that Match provided that such act(s) have not been detected by the Match Officials;

(ii) a Player for more than one incident of alleged Foul Play in the same Match; and

(iii) more than one Player in any Match.

17.11.1 (b) (ii) such citing, to be effective, must be made no later than 48 hours of the conclusion of the Match in which the Foul Play is alleged to have occurred;

Last edited:

Paule23

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Lift + Tip + Drive + Landed on upper back = RC in my book... all day, every day

]

i agree with the santion but does it matter whether he was driven into the ground or not? There is no reference to driven in the law. I had a discussion with a referee coach about this a couple of weeks ago, I gave a yellow (landed on back) partly on the grounds he was driven in to the ground, the coach pointed out this was not part of the law, and I should maybe have considered not giving a yellow as he was only lifted, topped and dropped onto his back and it was a friendly (!)

But as a specific point, does driving matter? I know it makes the consequences more serious, but should there be a different sanction for dropping vs driving? My current view is no, although the potential impact is worse there is no extra sanction for driving into the ground. Thoughts?

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
But as a specific point, does driving matter? I know it makes the consequences more serious, but should there be a different sanction for dropping vs driving? My current view is no, although the potential impact is worse there is no extra sanction for driving into the ground. Thoughts?

I'd say there should be - someone driving you into the ground is probably going to end less well than dropping them. There's just that much more weight forcing the tackled player down. If the likely consequences of two illegal actions are different, the penalty for the two should be different.

Having grown up and spent my whole playing career in an era where there was just a dangerous tackle (and the term 'tip tackle' had not been heard of, though 'spear tackle' had), where the definition was based on the referee's common sense, I'll take each case on its own merits, but I'll generally view a driving into the ground more harshly than a dropping.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Of course lack of citing does not stop his headmaster deciding that he has brought the school into disrepute and suspending him from the school rugby team. However, there is no mention of the incident in the match report - so I do not hold out hope for this happening.

"Once again our 1st XV has scored a meritorious victory in the National Co-ed Rugby competition."

Yesterday FAHS defeated Aorere College 25-5 to win this prestigious tournament for the third time in the last eight years. The score would suggest that our team was simply too good but the victory can be fairly attributed to a superior game plan and the commitment our boys showed in order to execute it.

Aorere had powerful forwards and some explosive backs but Feilding managed to restrict their flow of ball so that Aorere never quite managed to play to their potential."

Aorere's web site has messages about respect and behaviour.
Fielding lists its victories.

Should you feel so inclined you could e-mail the school.

admin@feildinghigh.school.nz