AR positioning for kick

bellnier

Post Likes
AR.jpg

I'm finding some difficulty in judging whether ball has completely cleared the uprights and I've gotten conflicting opinions on where AR1 and AR2 are best positioned. Suggestions please! Thanks.
David

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Assuming no issues with sun, one AR at the base of the near post (A12 on your grid) and one deeper in a line with the ball and far post (eg C5).

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
View attachment 2685

I'm finding some difficulty in judging whether ball has completely cleared the uprights and I've gotten conflicting opinions on where AR1 and AR2 are best positioned. Suggestions please! Thanks.
David

I'm not an AR, but i'll have a stab anyway B6 & B12 ........ [now ducking just in case !]

bellnier

Post Likes
This is what I thought. I watched Australia v. England on the TV the other night and that is the positioning I saw (although the camera didn't give me a good view).
Cheers,
Dave

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
The accepted convention I have always been taught is that one AR is on the near post A12, his job is to make sure it goes inside his post and also over the crossbar.

The other AR is further back around G2-G4, he is checking it goes inside his post (left hand side one).

Generally the near post AR will see it go inside his post and over the bar and shout "yes", then wait for the other AR to shout Yes, or No.
If however it goes way wide, to the left as we look at the diagram, he might shout "your call", i.e. it went left of my post, but might have gone left of yours as well, you decide?
If it goes right of the first post or under the bar the first AR will shout "no" and thats really game over.

Two Yes's, flags up.
One or more No's, flags stay down.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I was taught that both ARs stand at the base of the posts but I've never liked that and prefer near-side AR at base and far-side AR further back (as described by others).

If I am the standing-back AR and it is a PK I like to be over deadball line to be out of the way if the kick misses. Sometimes the in-goal is too deep to make this possible.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I always stand hard on the posts, regardless of where the kick is positioned, as its where I feel most comfortable. Most of the other AR's down here position themselves about middle of the in goal for Conv or hard on the posts for PK's - since you certainly don't want to be dodging a prop bringing the ball out if its missed and still in play! One of our grounds have combined soccer/rugby posts, I once had to grab the overhead and drag myself up to safety cause I was a bit too close to the action!

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Stand where you need to stand. Yes, the "accepted wisdom" is "one close, the other back" but if either of those positions means you can't see because the sun is in your eyes, what's the point?

You need to be able to see. Ideally, you should have a different angle to the other TJ/AR.

And you need to be out of the way or - or able to get out of the way of - the defending players as that ball is live.