[Assistant Referees] AR5

tewdric

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I have an AR5 coming up for a youth competition final. I've only gone as low as AR3 before! My assumption is that I will look after one team's subs, yellow cards etc, be the liaison for the team manager, manage the perimiteter area, have a copy of the competition regs, have a drink to run to the ref plus whatever else they request. Is that normally the form?

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I have an AR5 coming up for a youth competition final. I've only gone as low as AR3 before! My assumption is that I will look after one team's subs, yellow cards etc, be the liaison for the team manager, manage the perimiteter area, have a copy of the competition regs, have a drink to run to the ref plus whatever else they request. Is that normally the form?

Probably. But Please talk to Dai Williams (appointments officer) or your society.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
There will presumably be a briefing by the referee before the match. Contact him beforehand to check?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
In my experience the 5th official is usually the 4th officials assistant and they look after the subs / cards / scores etc (one assigned to each team).

You may need to practice saying "get back in your box" :buttkick:

tewdric

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Thanks all I wil certainly be in contact with the ref beforehand and I'll give Dai a bell. Just after a bit of background :)

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Phil's reply indicate the issue. Usually here (Wales) 4 and 5 take one side each (on opposite sides of the field) So your first point of contact should always be your society (and its appointment officer)

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
AR4 and AR5, lucky to get grumpy sub 1 and 2 at my level.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
AR4 and AR5, lucky to get grumpy sub 1 and 2 at my level.
Ah, but this is a "youth competition final" presumably at the Millennium Stadium.

That's a bit special. :biggrin:

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Seems sensible to have technical areas on opposite sides of the pitch but in my experience the powers that be insist on having them on one side either side of the halfway line.
Usually only at cup finals at my level, I never insist they are in the same side in league games otherwise I'd never get a volunteer touch judge on the "far side".
Never a good idea with a feisty cup match but you only then need an AR4!

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
make sure you're up to speed on the intricacies of front row substitutions.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Ah, but this is a "youth competition final" presumably at the Millennium Stadium.

That's a bit special. :biggrin:

Enjoy, the equivalent at Twickers is one of the many things that's disappeared for us in RFU land. Don't get me wrong it's a long expensive day for us up North, but a hell of a memory for the kids - to it was :-(

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Seems sensible to have technical areas on opposite sides of the pitch but in my experience the powers that be insist on having them on one side either side of the halfway line.
Usually only at cup finals at my level, I never insist they are in the same side in league games otherwise I'd never get a volunteer touch judge on the "far side".
Never a good idea with a feisty cup match but you only then need an AR4!

Depends on the venue. Often keeping the two side on oppisite sides of the ground saves a big headache. If the games is a th the Principality it should not be a problem.

Our society regularly covers the AR roles down to 5. I'msurprised this hs not been covered in Gwent.

tewdric

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It's at Caerphilly! I haven't made the Stadium yet although I was next door at CAP on Wednesday. :)