Argentina v France

chief

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Seemed like a good game from what I've seen so far.

Anyone tell me what they thought of Stu Dickinson's performance?

Enrique

Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
IMHO, Dickinson's performance was very good. Some problems in the scrums, though, because it's still impossible to penalize both teams at the same time :biggrin: (e.g. AR's LH and FR's TH doing their best to cheat when ref was in the other end of the scrum, as gripping in the armpit, twisting, etc.). YC to Florian Fritz was clearly deserved. Generally speaking, Dickinson did a fine management of the game. I appreciated the fact that he penalized the obstructions in the lineout (even if against "my" team), something that many elite refs usually forget.

paul mc

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Seems that putting the ball into the scrum straight is no longer required....both SH's fed the ball into the second row every time, and I can't remember either being pulled up for it. I agree with Enrique, binding by the FR's was constantly on the arms or armpits, yet SD kept telling them that they were hitting too low. Great result for Argentina.

Donal1988

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Only saw the first half. There was a lot of stuff that just struck me as different. For example Dickinson seemed to stand in the "zipper" position a lot at lineouts which I was always taught was a no-no. At the breakdown rather than standing in the attacking line and pivoting, he seemed to stand in line with the defense a lot.

I found the protocol interesting at the yellow card. He gave Contempomi and Ledesma warnings during the half I saw. Then when the yellow card was issued to France (no problems about the card btw) he doesnt say anything to captain or offending player just produces the card and gets on with the game.

I do think his scrum work still wasnt great but it rare that a referee handles the scrum as perfectly as we in the BCM666 school of thought would expect :) Actually there was one particular scrum late in first half Argentinian scrum collapsed however ball made its way back to 8s feet and Dickinson played on. If scrum collapses you blow the whistle its just not safe.

Apart from some dodgey scrummaging I noticed very little wrong but certainly different to how we learn it.

Last edited:

chief

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Only saw the first half. There was a lot of stuff that just struck me as different. For example Dickinson seemed to stand in the "zipper" position a lot at lineouts which I was always taught was a no-no. At the breakdown rather than standing in the attacking line and pivoting, he seemed to stand in line with the defense a lot.

I found the protocol interesting at the yellow card. He gave Contempomi and Ledesma warnings during the half I saw. Then when the yellow card was issued to France (no problems about the card btw) he doesnt say anything to captain or offending player just produces the card and gets on with the game.

I do think his scrum work still wasnt great but it rare that a referee handles the scrum as perfectly as we in the BCM666 school of thought would expect :) Actually there was one particular scrum late in first half Argentinian scrum collapsed however ball made its way back to 8s feet and Dickinson played on. If scrum collapses you blow the whistle its just not safe.

Apart from some dodgey scrummaging I noticed very little wrong but certainly different to how we learn it.

Dickinson is usually one of the most verbal referees especially when talking to captains. However he doesn't speak French or Spanish for that matter. Hence the lack of English used.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
For example Dickinson seemed to stand in the "zipper" position a lot at lineouts which I was always taught was a no-no.

I think you'll see a lot more of that at elite level and games where ARs are provided. I've long been a advocate. Interesting how paradigms evolve

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Zipper is great when you have 2 AR's which you trust who are miked up with, otherwise I will 99% of the time stand in the tram tracks

Agustin

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
OK, now I have to ask... what is the zipper position?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
OK, now I have to ask... what is the zipper position?

back of lineout, about 15-20 metres from touch, looking down line of touch.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes

It's about have 2 AR's watching other things. Without those trained AR's, you can't go there.

Again - depends on style. Personally I sometimes say very little at a YC. If the warning has been clear and understood, and then the signal for the following PK is clear and understood, there is very little you need to say. I will often just say "we spoke earlier" or similar. Captains understand. But you can't always use this, and it doesn't always work.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I think you'll see a lot more of that at elite level and games where ARs are provided. I've long been a advocate. Interesting how paradigms evolve

The other paradigm that is changing is the ref's position for scrums. The top guys are now standing on the non-feed side.