[Line out] Ball goes out on the full after failed charge down

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
From my game at the weekend, White 9 box kicks from the base of the scrum outside his 22. Blue 7, whilst attempting to charge down, clearly touches the ball in flight but it continues in the direction of the kick and lands in touch some 20-30 metres downfield (closer to the Blue goal line) without having bounced first.

Without the touch from Blue 7 it would have been a Blue throw with no gain in ground for a ball going out on the full from outside the kickers 22 however as a result of the Blue touch I gave the throw to White from where the ball crossed the touch line.

Was that the correct decision as I can’t find a specific reference in the laws?

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I had exactly this scenario a number of years ago as a relatively new referee.
I gave the LO to the kicking side opposite the place where the ball was kicked ie no gain in ground. Nobody questioned it but on thinking about it after the game I was clearly wrong.
You dealt with it correctly.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Law 18.8.a, third entry:

The ball hits a player and goes directly into touch - opposition throw in, where the ball reaches the touchline or at the point on the touchline closest to where the ball hit the player, whichever is nearer to that player’s goal line.

Good call!

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Yes you were correct.
A shout by you of "touched by Blue" would dispel any questions straight away.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Exactly the same happened to me at the weekend, didn't get the opportunity to call 'touched' so TJ flag was wrong way and everyone was expecting it as straight out, but no arguments when I called it as touched. It does get you second guessing yourself though!

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
It was definitely a moment when I was grasping for inspiration but having called the line out I did briefly explain my logic and was grateful that no one queried it. Thank you for the replies.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Falls into the category of sell your decision, 9/10 occasions the players have a far worse law knowledge than you do!