Ball kicked dead through touch in goal

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Red attacking and kick through into the blue 22. Blue player gets to the ball first at about the 5m line and kicks the ball backwards and sideways. The ball goes over the goal line and then goes dead touch in goal. What's the call? I think I was right in giving a 5m scrum to red but not sure exactly where I should have given it.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Who put the ball into in-goal?
Blue did, so 5m attacking scrum.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Hmmm.
Definitely 5m attacking scrum but the location is not spelt out in the LoTG from memory.
Two possibilities.
1. 5m scrum 5m in from touch
or
2. 5m scrum in line with where the ball crossed the goal line (if more than 5m from touch line).

For some reason, I'll go with option #2.

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Hmmm.
Definitely 5m attacking scrum but the location is not spelt out in the LoTG from memory.
Two possibilities.
or
2. 5m scrum in line with where the ball crossed the goal line (if more than 5m from touch line).

I went with option 1 rather than option 2 but not entirely sure why - it just felt right. I think I could have sold it either way if I'd had to, but fortunately decision accepted without any grumbles.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Hmmm.
Two possibilities.
or

Option 1.

When the ball crossed the goal line it wasn't dead, so why would you give it there?

If someone had touched down the ball, you would give it in line with where they touched it down.
If the ball went over the dead ball line, you would give it in line with where it crossed the dead ball line.
So.....if it goes over the touch in goal line, you would give it in line with that. But since we cant have a scrum within 5m of the touchline it would be 5 and 5.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I do agree with you Phil. The reason my first instinct was to go with option #2 was that somewhere in my memory bank I can remember talking to a ref coach about some in-goal situation where the restart was back in line with where the ball first went into in-goal but I can't remember exactly what it was. Maybe someone can enlighten me when such a situation would be the case? In the mean time, more than happy to go with 5 and 5.
Cheers.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I do agree with you Phil. The reason my first instinct was to go with option #2 was that somewhere in my memory bank I can remember talking to a ref coach about some in-goal situation where the restart was back in line with where the ball first went into in-goal but I can't remember exactly what it was. Maybe someone can enlighten me when such a situation would be the case? In the mean time, more than happy to go with 5 and 5.
Cheers.

Many years ago the 5 metre (yard?) scrum was in line with where the ball crossed the goal line