Bath vs Wasps - TMO

Rawling

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
This was one of the matches to be trialling a TMO despite not being televised.

I didn't have the best view - I was on a hill outside the Rec! - , but with two minutes left the TMO was called on for the third time to check a Bath grounding. The big screen came up "TRY", and I walked off. When I got to the other end of the ground, the scoreboard still hadn't changed and the players were scrumming down.

Does anyone know what happened here? I assumed it was just the screen director screwing up, but the BBC claims the TMO awarded the try and then changed his mind. (Maybe forgot which question DP asked him.)

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Someone pressed the wrong button.
No Try.

Chunky Charvis

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
F***ing hell. That's one hell of a cock up!!!

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I would assume (from how our big screens operate at work) that the TMO doesn't actually rewind and replay the video clips himself, nor does he put the "TRY" graphic onto the screen. So either the technician pressed the wrong button, there was a technical glitch, or maybe TMO was talking to himself and the technician jumped the gun.

I can't imagine the TMO said "it's a try"..........no hang on a minute let me have another think?"

gammoref

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
I would assume (from how our big screens operate at work) that the TMO doesn't actually rewind and replay the video clips himself, nor does he put the "TRY" graphic onto the screen. So either the technician pressed the wrong button, there was a technical glitch, or maybe TMO was talking to himself and the technician jumped the gun.

I can't imagine the TMO said "it's a try"..........no hang on a minute let me have another think?"

Let's hope not - maybe more work to be done before it's rolled out then!