Beach rugby

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Well, this was an interesting experience.

http://beachrugby.com.au/

5 players per side, 5 minute halves, played in bare feet and with 2 refs (refs move up & down touchlines)

How hard could it be?

Mentally, this was one of the toughest gigs I've ever had to do. You just get no down time - game after game after game - for 3 1/2 hours. In the sun. And these guys & gals are playing for sheep stations *

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playing_for_sheep_stations

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
Cor......makes my tag rugby on Friday night look like a girlies get together.........

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I've played tackle games on the beach when I was much younger. Just imagine what it feels like being tackled with the tackler wearing sand paper gloves. Lots of fun, but lots of grazes. Sand has a strange crunchy texture but little flavour. Eyes don't fair so well when filled with sand. Usually takes days for all the sand to migrate out of your hair.

I noticed in the clip that tackles were always attempted high 'ball and all'. Obviously that seemed to be the best tactic, as I'm guessing grabbing legs all covered in sand is too slippery to be worth it.

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
I've played beach rugby in Majorca and the Netherlands and reffed in the same Netherlands & Belgian tournaments.

Playing was easier - more breaks inbetween games!!

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I noticed in the clip that tackles were always attempted high 'ball and all'. Obviously that seemed to be the best tactic, as I'm guessing grabbing legs all covered in sand is too slippery to be worth it.

If you hold an opponent stationary 'ball and all' for 2 seconds, you get a handover.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Gotcha...knew there was a reason for it.