Best cider

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Now I have your attention, and having read a few posts praising cider's ability to subdue, relax, intoxicate etc, please post your favourite, commercially available drop.
Will then search my local bottle shop for suggestions

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I like Castaway Original. Not too sweet, and one of the cheapest on the market (40/carton @ Dan Murphys).

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
You need to speak to our 12 fingered brethren in the South West.

This fairly recent resurgence (in UK) in cider and a myriad of mad flavours seems to be being followed by a taste for flavoured beers.

Even "Mild" is making the odd appearance - hooray!.

I went to the Edinburgh Fringe a few years ago and opted for a bottle cider at the venue.

"What flavour?" says the young lad behind the bar.
"Apple"
"Ok"
He returns to tell me they only have original or pear.

:shrug:

The youth of today!

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Without intending to hi-jack (although I have) with the cider post above I seemed to have overtaken chopper15 in the posts posted league.

I may grow a huge white beard to commemorate the occasion.

5775 posts with nearly 13 of them Rugby related.

SimonSmith next to run down although he is nearly 1000 ahead.

I am only 13,000 behind OB..

Last edited:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Back on thread.

From the commercial brands I quite like Savannah Cider.

I stopped drinking cider for about 20 years after a few years of snakebites as a student. Cider and Lager mixed which formed a sort of ectoplasm/snot/lava lamp effect under the UV lights of awful "discos" in the North East.

Wert Twacky

Referees in England
Post Likes
Now, being one of the 12-fingered bretheren born and bred in Zummerzet (the real and spiritual home of zider) you only have to know of one place:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1uWTmdRPdM

Served only in half-pint glasses, cloudy, with bits in... proper stuff. Any vistors from overseas were taken to Rog's farm - the stuff of legends.

Spend a few hours in there, stuff your face with cheese bread and pickles, then pay about "a fiver" on the way out as Rog too pissed himself to care!

God Bless the Apple.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I don't like Cider!

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Been to Rog's farm, bought the best ever cheddar (it almost walked out on it's own!) and horseradish there!

as for the cider, I can handle my drink (not a big drinker but no lightweight) 1.5 pints and I was rolling!

Now a fan of Thatchers Gold (but it's a summer drink!)

barker14610

Referees in America
Post Likes
Make you own. 4 liters each of apple cider and apple juice. Ideally local with no preservatives. Add in two cups of brown sugar and 4-5 cinnamon sticks. Boil all that. Once it cools, add in 500ml of 190-proof grain alcohol. It can be served cold or warm (my preference). The whole mix tastes like apple pie. Hence the name, Apple Pie Moonshine.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
So to make Cider you need....Apple Cider?
What's the friggin point? Just drink the Apple Cider :confused:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
A local pub was told to stop serving its scrumpi to anyone other than regulars after some teenagers decided it would be fun to hide behid gravestones in the churchyard across the road and leap out at passers-by, pretending to be ghosts.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
A local pub was told to stop serving its scrumpi to anyone other than regulars after some teenagers decided it would be fun to hide behid gravestones in the churchyard across the road and leap out at passers-by, pretending to be ghosts.

Who was drinking the cider?

The teenagers or the passers by (or the ghosts)?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Make you own. 4 liters each of apple cider and apple juice. Ideally local with no preservatives. Add in two cups of brown sugar and 4-5 cinnamon sticks. Boil all that. Once it cools, add in 500ml of 190-proof grain alcohol. It can be served cold or warm (my preference). The whole mix tastes like apple pie. Hence the name, Apple Pie Moonshine.

I've seen what Americans do with a Pie !

Wert Twacky

Referees in England
Post Likes
If you can see through it and it has bubbles in it, it 'aint zider.