Biggar “Tackle” on Vakatawa

dfobrien

Post Likes
Should Dan Biggar’s “tackle” on Vakatawa in the Welsh 22 towards the end of the WC QF today not have been penalised?

Basically, Vakatawa ran straight over him, but Biggar stood straight up, made no effort to get low, and no effort to wrap any arms around him. I’m not suggesting it merited any form of card, although again I’d have thought the referee should have checked for head contact, but I thought this was precisely the kind of “tackle” that world rugby is trying to eliminate. Also a penalty to France might have made a difference to the result, not that they deserved it. Worst example of chucking away a big game I have seen in a long time.

Thanks in advance to the referee contingent.

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I think penalising Biggar having been mown down by Vakatawa would have been adding insult to injury. Also worth noting that not getting out of another players way isn't in itself illegal on a rugby field. Players aren't obliged to move out of the way of the ball carrier and standing still, making no attempt to tackle and getting ploughed down is not against the laws of the game although it is pretty inadvisable.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
getting ploughed down is not against the laws of the game although it is pretty inadvisable.

...said Mr Underwood :biggrin:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Was it Underwood? I thought it was Mike Catt he used as an on-ramp?

It was. JL picked up a shitty bounced pass that went behind him from Little/Bunce? Then from nearly a standing start ran round TU, WC and over MC as I recall.

Last edited:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
It was. JL picked up a shitty bounced pass that went behind him from Little/Bunce? Then from nearly a standing start ran round TU, WC and over MC as I recall.

Looking at the vid - shit pass was from Graeme Bachop!