Biting

Stuartg

Referees in England
Post Likes
I had a very close match yesterday which for 45 mins was fine (HT score 5-7). It then started to heat up. One of the blue players caught a boot to the face which resulted in a bloody injury to an eye. I didn't see it happen. Words with the captains to keep their cool but blue captain looking as though murder on his mind.

A couple of minutes late and red capt comes to me with one of his players who claims to have been bitten in a maul. He shows me the, very convincing, marks. Call the other captain to me to reiterate the need for discipline. Didn't see the incident so can't do anything else about it. However I got to thinking (slowly these days) about this. The red player was very quick to say "I wouldn't bite myself, would I?". But in a match full of mind games it would seem an easy way to get me to suspect the other side of foul play. At home I decided to try to bite my own forearm, and guess what, the position of the bite is pretty much where the payer's bite marks were located. I don't know whether it was genuine or not, but it is the first time in 37 years I've come across evidence of biting. Was he bitten or demonstrating autophagic tendencies?

Your thoughts and experiences please.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
The truth is you'll never know, I know this isn't perfect but the reaction of the 'bitten' is usually the key, if it happens there is usually a squeal or a flurry of fists & some other objecting type language .... Strangely I don't recall that biting was much of an issue as a player backalong, the one time I remember, I grabbed hold of the offender & held on tight & eyeballed him, nodded & then smiled & revisited him later! :wink:
th