Brian Moore to ref for London Society

Big J

Referees in England
Post Likes
OK Chaps/esses

Brian Moore has completed his ELRA course under Ed Turnill and will referee his first competitive match at Rosslyn Park under lights (Nomads v London Scottish XV) k/o 7.00-7.30. Lots of publicity/filming via Total Rugby and he has written an article in The Torygraph today.

Greg Garner and Ed will run touch for him. I have provided the LSRFUR Standard Chartered kit 46" yellow shirt, 36" in shorts, XXL Tracksuit).

Im sure you would all love to turn up and support the great man who after all his bluster has actually got off his arse and done it. Im sure he'd be glad of the support guys.

Lets hope it improves the quality of his commentary :biggrin:

Not sure wether there wil be any entry requirements but I thought Id keep the details secret to refs only for now. Only us here a few of London and the RFU Press dept know where it is.

Last edited:

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
Big J,

So who was it who gave him the mouthful he complained about at the start of the article?

FF

Big J

Referees in England
Post Likes
I believe somoene wrote to him not sure who. I asked Ed T he didnt know either

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
Any chance he will be Goffed? Or that you could post one of the many assessments that might happen that night? :D

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I await with interest the commentary that will follow the introductory remark, "Speaking as a fully qualified referee, I think that......"

"Ball was put in straight enough for me"
"The arriving player DOESN'T have to 'let him up'"
"There's no such beast as a 'double movement'"
"He didn't have control of the ball when he grounded it, but then again, he doesn't have to"

Rit Hinners

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Brian Moore has completed his ELRA course under Ed Turnill and will referee his first competitive match at Rosslyn Park under lights (Nomads v London Scottish XV) k/o 7.00-7.30. Lots of publicity/filming via Total Rugby and he has written an article in The Torygraph today.

For those of us on this side of the pond who have no clue of the quality of play these sides will provide, can you give us a clue?

Are they throwing him to the wolves? Is this a normal match for someone who has just finished his ELRA?

PeterH

Referees in England
Post Likes
Good on him - I am sure he will enjoy it - and appreciate the feeling it gives him.. I can't play any more and have enjoyed my whistling thus far as the next best thing - but I know Brian from playing and he was always full on - he will no doubt be swotting as we speak

I think every member of the PRA/RPA should do this once a season - they are all injured often enough to allow it :)

Followed closely by anyone who wants a press pass for twickers

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Nomads are Rosslyn Park 6th team, they play against London Scottish 5ths

Both big clubs with a good pedigree, and the lower teams could have some serious vets playing for them, who have some decent level experience at L3/4 - so technically it may be L11 or less, but could be interesting. He may well have to watch the Front Rows, and keep an eye on the 9s who will probably want to do a number on the Pit-bull.

As an ex top class international he will be better placed than some ELRA qualified guys whose last playing experience was at school and are now interested again following their son's progress at the local U10s...

Big J

Referees in England
Post Likes
We start ELRA graduates at 12-13...this would be 11/12/13 ish. If you read his article in the telegraph then he feels PRA/ex pros have an edge over normal refs cos they know how and where to cheat :)p ). But as previous correspondents have mentioned with these first class clubs many of the vets have played first class rugby......I am sure it will be entertaining either way

This is a little artificial because of who he is I am pretty certain he would be doing something Like Hayes 2 or lower to start but these are the only sides we could get to play on Monday evening and be assured they have 15 players lol, so its hard to judge really. Its good publicity for Reffing, London, Standard Chartered etc.

Im sure all would be welcome at Park. I cannot make it now.

J

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
All credit to the man and my best wishes go out to him for an enjoyable game; he could not have had a better trainer that Dobbie either.

My guess is that he will be watching the scrums like a hawk and will miss the cheatin' b'stards sneaking up behind him.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
All credit to the man and my best wishes go out to him for an enjoyable game; he could not have had a better trainer that Dobbie either.

My guess is that he will be watching the scrums like a hawk and will miss the cheatin' b'stards sneaking up behind him.

Has anyone suggested that BM has to pay the SH's £5 for each deliberate feed he misses, and £5 to the beer fund for each "not 5" or similar offence he misses while watching out for the feed.

Please if someone could post this game (or highlights) on youtube for those of us unable to attend?

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
where and when will be able to se the footage :biggrin:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Greg Garner and Ed will run touch for him. I have provided the LSRFUR Standard Chartered kit 46" yellow shirt, 36" in shorts, XXL Tracksuit).

Do all your new ELRA students get TJ's and full kit on their first game? :chin:

Can't fault him for putting his whistle where his mouth is :biggrin:

................have the admins changed his status on the forum :wink:

Rit Hinners

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Thanks for "defining" the level of play for me.

I didn't realise this journalist was an ex-international. Yes, having played at that level will be a big help to him as a ref.

It's a big step up knowing what is likely to occour before it does.

Big J

Referees in England
Post Likes

Yes they do Phil...why dont you get them in Warwick?...we have such a dearth of talent that elite referees run touch and are so wealthy with sponsors we give kit to anyone? :p

What do you think.........................hmmmmmm?

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... I didn't realise this journalist was an ex-international. Yes, having played at that level will be a big help to him as a ref.
Not only was he an international, he played for the British Lions as well - so he was pretty handy. :wink:

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes

Yes they do Phil...why dont you get them in Warwick?...we have such a dearth of talent that elite referees run touch and are so wealthy with sponsors we give kit to anyone?

Well I can vouch for that too, one visit inside the M25 and I was presented with a LSRFUR Standard Chartered kit 42" yellow shirt of which I am very proud. It's very useful when marshalling aircraft and dealing with incidents on the motorway too; in fact sun glasses are recommended for players when worn for refereeing. :)