Brilliant Perspective and Messaging

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Just seen Joy Neville's comments on the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/57428237

Two fantastic messages that should go out to all referees, at all standards:

"At the end of the day no matter what environment you're in you need to realise that you're going to make mistakes, it's about learning from the experiences."​

"you get labelled for your accuracy and inaccuracy, and for your performance."

I feel it will not be too long before she's in the middle of the men's 6 nations.

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Wow 200 views and nobody has any comment, positive, negative or otherwise yet sniping and bickering about the "correct" way to indicate a penalty try or arguing about extremely hypothetical scenarios seem to drag on ad infinitum.

I feel this resource has lost its way :frown:

RedCapRef

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
I view a lot and comment rarely, but have noticed that good news rarely gets talked about as much as bad. Perhaps one of the reasons for that is there is less need to reinforce ones own opinion on the items that, like this one, are self evidently good news, whereas ones opinion on how to indicate a penalty try must be seen by all to be the best way whatever others think.
I look forward to the day when Joy has her first six nations match, I think that whatever her first controversial decision is and there will be one, will probably break the record for feedback on here. (I do hope it is not a penalty try though :) )

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I don't think there was anything controversial or out of the ordinary in what Joy said, I would hope we all agree, whereas something's that are posted on here......

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
there's not much to comment on, is there? An elite referee says "you get labelled for your accuracy and inaccuracy, and for your performance." Yawn

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I don't think there was anything controversial or out of the ordinary in what Joy said, I would hope we all agree, whereas something's that are posted on here......

this.

I suyppose several doxzen of us could reply with a single line

"me Too" next time?

didds

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I view a lot and comment rarely, but have noticed that good news rarely gets talked about as much as bad. Perhaps one of the reasons for that is there is less need to reinforce ones own opinion on the items that, like this one, are self evidently good news, whereas ones opinion on how to indicate a penalty try must be seen by all to be the best way whatever others think.
I look forward to the day when Joy has her first six nations match, I think that whatever her first controversial decision is and there will be one, will probably break the record for feedback on here. (I do hope it is not a penalty try though :) )

If, implicitly, you're saying her gender will drive the reaction on here, I'd be very surprised.

RedCapRef

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
If, implicitly, you're saying her gender will drive the reaction on here, I'd be very surprised.
I wasn't intending to imply that but on re-reading can see how that might come across.