Brutally Honest Assessment

Donal1988

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Not a "proper assessment". One of the senior figures in the association gave me a ring last night. He said that he was at the most recent game I refereed. Apparenty I had a "dreadful opening quarter that made me think that you'd been on the sauce the night before until about 2am". He then went on to say that some reasons unknown to him I decided to pull the finger out after 10 minutes and refereed brilliantly. He said that he has never seen a referee get such compliance from a scrum and that the lineout and breakdown were immaculate.

He said if he missed the first 15 minutes of the game he'd have been on the phone to IRFU bumping me up a level. However he says that I was "dreadful" for the first 10 minutes where I apparently missed 3 forward passes and a very clear offside. Said if he left after 15 minutes I wouldn't have got a game at that level for next month.

So Jeckyll and Hyde for me :) Have to say I was rather bemused by the call.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
Not a "proper assessment". One of the senior figures in the association gave me a ring last night. He said that he was at the most recent game I refereed. Apparenty I had a "dreadful opening quarter that made me think that you'd been on the sauce the night before until about 2am". He then went on to say that some reasons unknown to him I decided to pull the finger out after 10 minutes and refereed brilliantly. He said that he has never seen a referee get such compliance from a scrum and that the lineout and breakdown were immaculate.

He said if he missed the first 15 minutes of the game he'd have been on the phone to IRFU bumping me up a level. However he says that I was "dreadful" for the first 10 minutes where I apparently missed 3 forward passes and a very clear offside. Said if he left after 15 minutes I wouldn't have got a game at that level for next month.

So Jeckyll and Hyde for me :) Have to say I was rather bemused by the call.

Unusual that these four occurences happened in line with the guy watching. ;)

It seems wierd that the referee can decide it wasnt a forward pass yet a guy on the touch line can say you were wrong and overule you and there is sod all you can do about it. :wink:

I also fail to see how not having another game at that level for a month would help you improve. Maybe loads more games at that level would help you?

It maybe just his way of telling you to get your concentration sorted earlier in the game.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
or his way of suggesting not drinking meths the night before a game?

Mike Selig

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'll pass on the forward pass thing: it is my experience that what I consider a forward pass and what some assessors consider one differs, and when I try to debate this with them their response is usually along the lines of some of DaveT's arguments.:)

I'm not sure therefore how missing 1 clear offside can constitute a disastruous 1st 10 minutes...

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
their response is usually along the lines of some of DaveT's arguments.:)

Which, for the avoidance of doubt, is that if the ref says it's forward it is, if he doesn't it isn't. The ref is almost always best placed to judge - and whilst I do think too much is made of momentum I am happy for a sensible ref to make split second holistic judgement.:cool: