Burgess v SBW Mmmmmmmm.....

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Pity his brother couldn't tackle SBW properly - we may have reached the RLWC final.:mad:

I had a bet with my mate about RL imports before RWC 2015. My guesses were Ryan Hall and Sam Tompkins.

There's still time.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Aparently coming to Bath? Wonder if the reports are true and that Eng may be bank rolling it too?

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
2 things:

1) if true, how will that affect the salary cap and transfer budget for bath, other teams won't be happy?

2) one year is not a long time to learn union to international standard even if immersed in it day in and day out. Things won't just become instinctive - how many roaring successes have there been in Eng? Jason Robinson? Ashton (in some eyes)? I can think of more players, but to suddenly hope for a superstar for the WC after 12 months is a bit far fetched I think. I would save the money and look to develop the squads we have

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
you have to remember Jason Robinson had 2 bites at it before he got it right!

Agree re salary, but aren't you allowed one outside the cap?

KieranW

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
one year is not a long time to learn union to international standard even if immersed in it day in and day out.

Israel Folau didn't do badly - he scored 2 tries on his international debut against the lions, and played only a few matches of super rugby prior to that.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Reports in press that Sam Burgess may be fast tracked through a switch to Union for RWC 2015.

Burgess playing in the centres turning SBW's lights out. That would put a few bums on seats.

http://www.espnscrum.com/england/rugby/story/213613.html

Watched Burgess closely tonight v Montpellier, very underwhelmed , defensively sound - yes , but in attack??? Other than as the decoy runner occupying would be tacklers , i wasn't impressed... SBW he is not !

Report: must do better.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Or: A solid start upon which to build. Two games that are, still, tactically very different. It takes time. Give the guy a chance.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Or: A solid start upon which to build. Two games that are, still, tactically very different. It takes time. Give the guy a chance.

To be fair to SB, yes it is only his 2nd game and he did some good things like holding the ball carrier up to effect a turnover scrum from the ensuing maul. He definitely looks like he wants to be closer to the action than the #12 allows him to be and I kept looking to see who was covering out wide for him while he was getting involved in a few more defensive rucks. His natural instinct is to be where the ball/action is.
I suppose it is going to be a steep learning curve for SB because lurking in the background is an expectation that he could be part of the RWC squad. His biggest enemy to achieve what others are hoping for, i.e. a spot in the England squad, is time. The same problem the Wallabies have in overhauling their scrum.

Look, SB went exceptionally well for someone playing their 2nd game of rugby but underwhelming for someone expected to be playing in next year's RWC. It is such a big ask to expect someone from another sport to do the things that are instinctive for all the other players on the field.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes

He played 12, therefore much of what he was expected to do in attack isn't much different to RL ...is it?

Running lines, offloads, the one clear chance he had to gas it and attack space he kicked it away.

If England want a guy to merely crash it up the middle at 12 and be sound defensively then he might OK, but we've already got Barrit & Manu , if SL wants a 12 with a bit more footwork creativity then ????

don't rule out Watson at 13 he's developing nicely and has a sidestep made in heaven with gas to add.

In overview two lost possessions and two breakdown PKs, v one held up maul showed up his lack of 'contesting' skills , lots to work on.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Very different games. Off loading, setting up Ruck / mauls. RL players can "not release" etc. It all takes getting used to. The one who start well often fade. Ask Iestyn Harris.