called MARK after penalty rebounds off post

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Never had this before, player caught a rebounded penalty attempt and shouted MARK about 3 m from his try-line.
i allowed it (as it wasnt from a restart) but now not sure i was right.
Was I?

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
You made the right decision. There is nothing in the laws that state that a Mark cannot be taken off a PK attempt ("that which is not forbidden is allowed") and the law explicitly states that a Mark can be made from a kick that bounces off a post.

Good call.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
It seems to meet all the definitions of a mark.
You can make a mark after the ball hits the goal post or crossbar (law 18 definitions)

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... There is nothing in the laws that state that a Mark cannot be taken off a PK attempt ("that which is not forbidden is allowed")....
There seems to be some general confusion about when a Mark is allowed.

The easiest way to think of it by far, is that a Mark can be called from any direct kick from an opponent - except for a Kick off or a restart at the centre.

Job done. This includes drop kicks, punts, PK, FK, 22m Drop outs etc. There's no need to complicate it.

The player deserves a pat on the back for asking for one under pressure, and CTPE deserves a pat on the back for allowing it. :clap:

Last edited:

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
This was one I got wrong in my first season - looked it up and spoke to the player in the bar to confirm he was correct!

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
There seems to be some general confusion about when a Mark is allowed.

The easiest way to think of it by far, is that a Mark can be called from any direct kick from an opponent - except for a Kick off or a restart at the centre.

Job done. This includes drop kicks, punts, PK, FK, 22m Drop outs etc. There's no need to complicate it.

The player deserves a pat on the back for asking for one under pressure, and CTPE deserves a pat on the back for allowing it. :clap:
I am still waiting to award my first Mark from a 22m dropout though.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

... or a conversion attempt :)

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I am still waiting to award my first Mark from a 22m dropout though.
I've never seen it happen either, but a player is allowed to call a Mark from a 22DO if he wanted to.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
If the kick is compulsory then no mark, for any other it's ok.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
... or a conversion attempt :)
Nice one!

The law is not very clear but we all know that the ball is not live at a conversion attempt. You cannot play on if it misses.

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The opponents have to kick a PK, and a FK and a 22m DO yet a Mark can still be called for.
You don't have to kick a PK, nor a FK. You can choose a scrum. You must kick a 22DO.

Dan_A

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Just out of interest, if a player called mark from a kickoff what would you do?

I'm assuming its a loud shout of play on?

But what if you feel that the player deliberately called mark from a kickoff in an attempt to confuse people. At the level I play at I can imagine this buying me a few seconds to run the ball back!!!

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
The opponents have to kick a PK, and a FK and a 22m DO yet a Mark can still be called for.

not so, as you can call a mark from a 22m drop out.

Tap and go for the first two ( or scrum) with a 22 the ball only has to cross the 22. so it can effectively be tapped accross the line on the ground. YOu do not have to present a chance to catch the ball.

Last edited:

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3

But what if you feel that the player deliberately called mark from a kickoff in an attempt to confuse people. At the level I play at I can imagine this buying me a few seconds to run the ball back!!!

I'd judge it. I'd choose from:

1; play on with a loud shout.

or

2; PK (10.4 (m)

Depends on the game (level / tempers etc)

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
with a 22 the ball only has to cross the 22.
Usually, but[LAWS]13.13 (c) [FONT=fs_blakeregular]If the ball does not cross the 22-metre line, advantage may apply. An opponent who plays the ball can score a try.[/FONT][/LAWS]

Browner

Banned
Post Likes

Yes - Play on,

How could you ever decide that ? , on a subject that is so misunderstood by even referees !
Try it, Good luck to you, you might get the mark awarded