[In-goal] Carried back

rugbyslave

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Red team kick ball towards goal line, defender catches ball as it crossed the goal line in the air, the defenders feet are in the field they dive with ball over goal line and touch down. 5m scrum or 22 drop out.

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
For the goal line, I think any portion of the ball being over the line means it is in-goal. I would deem Red to have taken it in-goal, and award a 22.

Jolly Roger

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Ball caught by defender whilst they were standing in the field of play. There is no reference in law to the plane of the goal line only the plane of touch.
When red drive defender over the goal line the ball has then been taken over by defender.
Following touchdown award is scrum 5.

Law 21.12 states
If any part of a defending player is in in-goal, that player is considered to be in in-goal, provided they are not also in touch or on or over the dead-ball line.

Deduction is that a player who has no part of them in in-goal is therefore in field of play. So they have taken the ball into in-goal.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I take opposite view to JR - there is no reference in Law to the playing of the ball across plane of GL, 22m, 10m, 15m or DB lines. So the plane of Touch is the exception and should not be read across. In the other cases therefore, only the position of the ball is relevant.

in this case, Attackers played the ball into In Goal (note, if it had been necessary, that the GL is part of In Goal). 22m DO.

Last edited:

GreeneSally

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 4
Hello friends, I want to say hello to you and say that I am very happy to join your community and to be in the company of like-minded people, glad that now I can communicate with you and discuss various topics. I hope I can leave it here, I hope so, thank you))) Very nice forum you have!!!! :pepper::):)

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Clarification
1-2017
Law 19 (Now Law 18)

Request
Alain Rolland, World Rugby High Performance 15s Match Official Manager seeks clarification on the interpretation of Law 19 especially in relation to:

Bringing the 22m line in line with the clarification (clarification 5 from 2016) for goal line and dead ball line:

The changes to the touch definitions (Law 19) will also apply to the 22m line as well as the dead ball line and to the goal line. The alignment of the 22m line provisions with Law 19 does not affect the definition of Law 18 - Mark.

1.b.i Of the law states:

If the ball has reached the plance of touch (and under the clarfication the plane of the goal line) when it is caught, the catcher is not deemed to have taken the bal into touch (into in-goal).

As this clarification is still on the WR website should be apply it in this case?

Jolly Roger

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Thank you Marc. That answers the question and I stand corrected.

Not sure that I will ever be in a position to judge it precisely but if I am then I will be able to make the correct decision and to back it up.