[Law] Charge down in to touch

Lancsbarts

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Suspect this may be a simple answer, but if a kick is charged down into touch, who's throw in is it?

Common sense would say kicking team, same as if the ball is touched in flight then goes into touch, just with charge downs, laws alter slightly so looking for clarification.

Cheers,

Andy.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
The team who didn't touch it last - so, in that scenario, kickers, assuming no-one else touched it

talbazar

Referees in Singapore
Post Likes
Seems simple enough for me to go with that and being able to sell it to everyone on and around the pitch :)

Welcome on the forum by the way!

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Suspect this may be a simple answer, but if a kick is charged down into touch, who's throw in is it?

Common sense would say kicking team, same as if the ball is touched in flight then goes into touch, just with charge downs, laws alter slightly so looking for clarification.

Cheers,

Andy.

Hi Andy and welcome.
You are correct that the throw in is taken by the kicking team.
The thing you need to be aware of is WHERE the throw in is taken.

Following the charge down;
1) If the ball bounces in the field of play before going into touch, the LO is where the ball crossed the touch line.
2) If the ball goes directly into touch, then the LO is set in line with where the player touched the ball or where the ball crossed the touch line if that point is nearer to the goal line of the player who executed the charge down.

To clarify point 2;

Scenario 1: Blue kick 15m out from their own goal line. Red player (17m from blue's goal line) charges the ball down and the ball goes directly into touch 10m from Blue's goal line. The LO is set 17m from blue's goal line.

Scenario 2: Blue kick 15m out from their own goal line. Red player (17m from blue's goal line) charges the ball down and the ball goes directly into touch 20m from Blue's goal line. The LO is set 20m from blue's goal line.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Law reference anyone - of course not that would be too easy.
You are obviously applying the no gain in ground rules for kicks - which sort of makes sense and sort of doesn't.

But of course Law 19 makes no reference to charge downs.

Law 12(e) covering knock on into touch only offers the option of a line ut where the ball goes into touch or a scrum where the knock on occurs and makes no mention of whether the ball bounces.

A charge down is not a knock on, so the scrum is not an option, but if you get gain in ground from a knock on (illegal), why would yo not get it from a charge down (legal)?

As ever the laws need a copy edit.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Law reference anyone - of course not that would be too easy.
You are obviously applying the no gain in ground rules for kicks - which sort of makes sense and sort of doesn't.

But of course Law 19 makes no reference to charge downs.

Law 12(e) covering knock on into touch only offers the option of a line ut where the ball goes into touch or a scrum where the knock on occurs and makes no mention of whether the ball bounces.

A charge down is not a knock on, so the scrum is not an option, but if you get gain in ground from a knock on (illegal), why would yo not get it from a charge down (legal)?

It's in Law 19.
I'll have a look for you

Edit:
Here you go.

Gain in Ground

(h) Kicks indirectly into touch. When a player anywhere in the playing area kicks indirectly into touch so that the ball bounces in the field of play the throw-in is taken where the ball went into touch.

When a player anywhere in the playing area kicks the ball so that it touches or is touched by an opposition player and then goes indirectly into touch so that the ball bounces in the field of play the throw-in is taken where the ball went into touch.

When a player anywhere in the playing area kicks the ball so that it touches or is touched by an opposition player and then goes directly into touch the throw-in is taken in line with where the opposition player touched the ball or where the ball crossed the touchline if that is nearer the opposition player’s goal line.

Last edited:

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3

I think sometime you just have to apply common sense to the law. You can't possibly cover every possibility. The logical approach is that ground is gained.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I reread law 19 before I posted and somehow failed to notice that paragraph.
Must read the laws more carefully.

So if I attempt to field a kick but end up knocking it on directly into touch which law applies 19 or 14?
Presumably we go with the spot more favourable to the non-offending side, so law 19.
Fortunately most cases it would not make a lot of difference and most teams would take the scrum anyway.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I reread law 19 before I posted and somehow failed to notice that paragraph.
Must read the laws more carefully.

So if I attempt to field a kick but end up knocking it on directly into touch which law applies 19 or 14?
Presumably we go with the spot more favourable to the non-offending side, so law 19.
Fortunately most cases it would not make a lot of difference and most teams would take the scrum anyway.

Law 19 or 12 (but I knew what you meant)

Law 19