charging a conversion attempt

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I have heard players telling each other to get off the posts so perhaps in the dim and distant past they have have come across Mr B. Mad of the LSRFUR?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Its a bit like grabbing your mother-in-law's bum. No real harm but bad form.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Can they breathe? Blink? Tuck a jersey in? Tie a bootlace? Huddle to regroup and revamp tactics? I believe all of these to be very common indeed - so common that a referee awarding a retake of a missed conversion would be viewed as not only plain wrong, but also barking mad. Why then would it be right to do the same for leaning against the post?

I support only dealing with 'actual' kicker distractions, not every theoretical one, as per your list.

I'm just showing you that yes, as per law kneeling down tying shoelaces isn't actually permitted ( although standing & doing the same might be a debate lawyers to earn from) ....although I'd argue that breathing is an 'implied' condition of participation:)

In the old days you could easily wobble a post, 10m+ further up its a potential distraction to the kicker.
Plus the risk of wobbling them may topple them ( remember CamborneWindyPostsGate) !

My Welsh Rugby teacher (evangelist) always said they were to be untouched when a kick attempted, I doubt he made it up though.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Some "temporary posts" eg ones rigged up in football grounds seem to have a life of their own in the wind. They would be easy to (Jah) wobble.

I recall Tim Stimpson kicking a goal for Leicester and the posts wobbled all over the shop when the ball hit them near top of the post. I think that was at a Football Ground. Filbert Street? City Ground?

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Some "temporary posts" eg ones rigged up in football grounds seem to have a life of their own in the wind. They would be easy to .. wobble.
From a scoring point of view, does it matter if they wobble? The relevant area is the area between the posts and directly above it; ie if the post is slightly squiffy, it doesn't mean the area being aimed at gets changed as well.

From a safety point of view, obviously you don't want anyone shaking anything.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
From a scoring point of view, does it matter if they wobble? The relevant area is the area between the posts and directly above it; ie if the post is slightly squiffy, it doesn't mean the area being aimed at gets changed as well.

From a safety point of view, obviously you don't want anyone shaking anything.

TBH, I can't remember the last time I inspected the posts before kickoff. I'm more interested in inadequate fitting padding.
Does anyone else give them more consideration?

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
I give the posts a shake during my pitch inspection, I do nit while I am checking the padding is secure.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
TBH, I can't remember the last time I inspected the posts before kickoff. I'm more interested in inadequate fitting padding. Does anyone else give them more consideration?
I always stretch against them and give the crossbar bolt a glance.

I've never found a dodgy one, but always assumed we were expected to check them.

Yes, if wobbling them distracts the kicker.
My point was regardless of whether the posts wobble, the relevant area ie the target area stays the same.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
I always check the pads, shake the posts and look at the cross bar mounting. I've seen a cross bar fall off when hit by a wendyball and have seen post fall over when rudted through at the bottom. Rather hope none of that happens during a game, so that's why I check.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
regardless of whether the posts wobble, the relevant area ie the target area stays the same.

Quiet possibly, but not necessarily, nevertheless a contrived swaying target shouldn't be a kickers expectation.

For refs who shake the posts..... How do you do it? if Pads are c.6 feet in height , how ?Reach above or below the pad, or slide/ remove the pads?!!!?

I'm mildly curious.

Last edited:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I give them a good hard shove to check the stability of the cross bar.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I always give the posts a shake just above the pads, checking for cross bar etc. just occasionally it makes no difference though and they still blow over :redface:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I always give the posts a shake just above the pads, checking for cross bar etc. just occasionally it makes no difference though and they still blow over :redface:

Perhaps you weakened them with a BFG BFS ! :)