charging a conversion attempt

aussie battler

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
can a player start their charge at a coversion attempt from between the posts???

i always thought you couldnt and most people i have asked dont think u can but on review of the law book i see nothing that states you cant.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
can a player start their charge at a coversion attempt from between the posts???

i always thought you couldnt and most people i have asked dont think u can but on review of the law book i see nothing that states you cant.

Yes they can. Players may stand between the posts. If I am an AR in a game, probably in 60% of those games, a player will turn around and ask me if they can stand between the posts.
The idea that you can't is a rugby league influence.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
The idea that you can't is a rugby league influence.
Which explains why no-one has ever asked me the question in the last 40 years, and why it would never have occurred to me that it might be a problem.

What is rugby league anyway?

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
A sport played by a load of dreadful oiks that fails to appreciate the art of a well-taken penalty goal, m'lud.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Which explains why no-one has ever asked me the question in the last 40 years, and why it would never have occurred to me that it might be a problem.

What is rugby league anyway?

Its a game where you carry a ball & smash your way through a line of defenders who are all lined up waiting to try & smash you, if you do get taken to floor the tackler can't do anything to get the ball off you , you get to do this several times ..............

............ OMG,
.... Its after us
........run , run for your life
.........aaarrrrgghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
In the early days of the game, converting a try was by "punt out" - a complex procedure which effectively precluded kicks from directly in front of the goal. In 1871 the first RFU Laws made the punt-out optional, with the modern place kick as the alternative. The law relating to the location of the mark for the place kick was clarified in 1874[LAWS]If the ball has been touched down between the goal posts it must be brought out in a straight line from either of such posts.[/LAWS]
There was no law preventing the opponents from starting their charge from between the posts, but you can see how the idea may have arisen.

The punt out was abolished in 1883.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
The punt out was abolished in 1883.
Nice to see that our Aussie OP is belatedly bringing himself up to speed! With that degree of outdatedness, perhaps he's a Kiwi abroad? :wink:

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
There are a few things in RU that are influenced by RL in Aus. Another is the tendency for TJs (and some ARs) to wave the flag from side to side at waist height to indicate that a kick at goal is not successful (definitely frowned upon and discouraged at AR courses).

The other thing that we have, in my area at least, is that whilst we allow players to stand between the posts at a kick, we don't allow them to lean against the post. AFAIK, there is nothing in the LoTG that prohibits leaning against the posts at kicks for goal. I would like to know
(a) Is this Australia wide?
(b) Is it the same in other countries?
(c) Anyone know where this originated?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I've heard the same ... couldn't honestly say exactly where outside england. Wales probably for starters

didds

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I have always understood that the prohibition on leaning on a post was to prevent the player causing the post to move during the kick.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Another is the tendency for TJs (and some ARs) to wave the flag from side to side at waist height to indicate that a kick at goal is not successful (definitely frowned upon and discouraged at AR courses).

but very welcome in the games that I referee!
we've disucssed this a few times, but at my level I find it very useful for the TJ to signal his definitive view. then no signal at all = 'sorry I wasn't paying attention'

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
but very welcome in the games that I referee!
we've disucssed this a few times, but at my level I find it very useful for the TJ to signal his definitive view. then no signal at all = 'sorry I wasn't paying attention'
Strongly agree. I have never understood why it was frowned upon.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Strongly agree. I have never understood why it was frowned upon.

As I recall there was only Davet and PhilE who had an apiary/millinery conjoining issue with TJ flag swooshing. I can't recall if it scored high on the harumphometer or not.

I'm a bit like crossref at least you know they reckon it missed.

Toby Warren started a poll on this and it was 66% in favour (on here).

Toby's poll (ooh er missus)

Last edited:

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
.... The other thing that we have, in my area at least, is that whilst we allow players to stand between the posts at a kick, we don't allow them to lean against the post. AFAIK, there is nothing in the LoTG that prohibits leaning against the posts at kicks for goal. I would like to know (a) Is this Australia wide? (b) Is it the same in other countries? (c) Anyone know where this originated?
Its not Australian wide as I heard it (and just accepted it) back in the 1970s in sunny West Wales. Decades later, I was amazed to see it wasn't even mentioned in the book.

can a player start their charge at a coversion attempt from between the posts??? i always thought you couldnt and most people i have asked dont think u can but on review of the law book i see nothing that states you cant.
You mean a Penalty Try? Yes, opponents can charge but there is a widespread myth that they can't. I think the source of this myth is easy - it's 9.B.3

9.B.3 The opposing team
(a) All players of the opposing team must retire to their goal line and must not overstep that line until the kicker begins the approach to kick or starts to kick. When the kicker does this, they may charge or jump to prevent a goal but must not be physically supported by other players in these actions.

(b) When the ball falls over after the kicker began the approach to kick, the opponents may continue to charge.

(c) A defending team must not shout during a kick at goal.

Sanction: (a)-(c) If the opposing team infringes but the kick is successful, the goal stands.
If the kick is unsuccessful, the kicker may take another kick and the opposing team is not allowed to charge.

Last edited:

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
As a Coach,I always stop my players from leaning against the posts during a conversion kick....if only to prevent them exuding a defeated attitude!! As a referee, while I dislike it, I generally do not intervene unless the 'leanee' is moving/attempting to move the posts.

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Maybe we should include this not leaning on the post thing in the myths thread, if it isn't already there.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
9.B.3.A instructs players to retire to behind the Goal line

Thereafter they are permitted to charge or jump.

No other actions are permitted, that's it.

Simples.

So, by my reckoning leaning on a post isnt a myth.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
In my locality leaning on the post should be discouraged as the cross bar is apt to come down.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
9.B.3.A instructs players to retire to behind the Goal line

Thereafter they are permitted to charge or jump.

No other actions are permitted, that's it.

Simples.

So, by my reckoning leaning on a post isnt a myth.
Can they breathe? Blink? Tuck a jersey in? Tie a bootlace? Huddle to regroup and revamp tactics? I believe all of these to be very common indeed - so common that a referee awarding a retake of a missed conversion would be viewed as not only plain wrong, but also barking mad. Why then would it be right to do the same for leaning against the post?