charging a PK

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Situation:

Black awarded PK 35 metres out pretty much in front of the posts. Black elect to kick for goal.
As black kicker runs up to make the kick, red defenders, standing 10m away initially run forwards towards him and the ball.

He then kicks and misses.

The ref admonishes the rushing defenders, and sends them back to their 10m distance reminding them they cannot charge a PK. He then re-awards the PK - at the original spot.

Black kick the PK.

Q: should that not have maybe been a 10m advance?

didds

talbazar

Referees in Singapore
Post Likes
Hey Didds,

After a quick glance through the law I don't find anything specific on infringement by the non-kickng team for placed kick at goal.
So I would go with your decision (march 10 metres) based on 21.7.(d)
[LAWS]Interference. The opposing team must not do anything to delay the penalty kick or obstruct the kicker. They must not intentionally take, throw or kick the ball out of reach of the kicker or the kicker’s team mates.
Sanction: Any infringement by the opposing team results in a second penalty kick, 10 metres in front of the mark for the first kick. This mark must not be within 5 metres of the goal line. Any player may take the kick. The kicker may change the type of kick and may choose to kick at goal. If the referee awards a second penalty kick, the second penalty kick is not taken before the referee has made the mark indicating the place of the penalty.[/LAWS]

My 2 cents,
Pierre.

pwhaling

Referees in America
Post Likes
I had this happen once. Marched them 10 metres. No one complained

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
yes, 10 metre advance. Unless its 11 year olds or some other consideration.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... The ref admonishes the rushing defenders, and sends them back to their 10m distance reminding them they cannot charge a PK. He then re-awards the PK - at the original spot. .... Q: should that not have maybe been a 10m advance?
I would say Yes.

I think the book says something like "any infringement by the non-kicking side results in a second mark 10m in front of the first".

Charging the PK was an infringement.

Mr.Christopher

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
A penalty kick is, by definition, a penalty. The penalized side must remain at least 10m back from the mark until play is started by a member of the non-offending team touching the ball with his foot.

Whether this done via a quick tap, a player punting the ball for touch (or territory), or making an attempt at goal... the fact remains that the offending team must remain 10m back until foot touches ball.

As the non-kicking team was within the 10m area when the ball was kicked, I would play advantage for offside. If the kick is made... advantage is gained and we go back to center for the restart. If the kick is missed, I penalize them for offside, march the mark up 10m, and give a fresh mark. The non-offending team would then have every penalty option open to them (quick tap, kick for touch, points, scrum, whatever).

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
As the non-kicking team was within the 10m area when the ball was kicked, I would play advantage for offside.
The requirement to be 10m back comes from Law 21. It is not defined as offside, and is not mentioned in any law relating to offside. I don't see it as helpful to call it thatany more than you do for a player encroaching past the 10m line at a kick-off.