Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
hi peoples
whats your view of following

red tackles blue ,
blue puts ball back to his teams side on floor
blue team mate comes in through gate to take ball.
but just before he gets his hand on to ball
red team mate comes in & cleans him out from the side .

as tackle only & no ruck formed
also as red player not looking to play ball.
is he justified to clear out from side
{ although a ruck would of now formed ,,forcing all others to come through gate etc }
as he is the initial 1st man in {{ can he come in from the side situation }}

Nigib

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
hi peoples
whats your view of following

red tackles blue ,
blue puts ball back to his teams side on floor
blue team mate comes in through gate to take ball.
but just before he gets his hand on to ball
red team mate comes in & cleans him out from the side .

as tackle only & no ruck formed
also as red player not looking to play ball.
is he justified to clear out from side
{ although a ruck would of now formed ,,forcing all others to come through gate etc }
as he is the initial 1st man in {{ can he come in from the side situation }}

You are confusing two areas - tackle (join through the gate) and ruck (join from behind the offside line). The 'gate' only applies at the tackle. So in the situation you describe, red should also come in through the gate, not from the side, so penalty to blue.

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
You are confusing two areas - tackle (join through the gate) and ruck (join from behind the offside line). The 'gate' only applies at the tackle. So in the situation you describe, red should also come in through the gate, not from the side, so penalty to blue.

hi nijib
yes agree if red coming in to play / get possession of ball , they need to come through gate .
but red is looking to clear out only , so is he still bound by the gate .

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
hi nijib
yes agree if red coming in to play / get possession of ball , they need to come through gate .
People have tried arguing this as a loophole before. My view is that the gate should apply whether you are going for the ball or not. It makes much better sense than getting too literal over interpretation of the law.

Nigib

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
hi nijib

while there is a tackle happening, players have to enter the tackle area through their respective gates, regardless of intention.
if in what you describe the ball is sufficiently far away from the players on the deck then you can consider the tackle to have ended and we are in open play. However, if blue is cleared out without having the ball, then it's a penalty against red.

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
People have tried arguing this as a loophole before. My view is that the gate should apply whether you are going for the ball or not. It makes much better sense than getting too literal over interpretation of the law.

I had this in a game last week , & i was nicely questioned by player who i penalised , what was penalty for , i advied the player we were in a tackle only situation , and a play for the ball or clear out , had to come through gate .
I just questioning my self , did i do correct .
As its not really covered by law.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I had this in a game last week , & i was nicely questioned by player who i penalised , what was penalty for , i advied the player we were in a tackle only situation , and a play for the ball or clear out , had to come through gate .
I just questioning my self , did i do correct .
As its not really covered by law.
Yes, you were correct - it is the standard approach.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
The game is to be played in the spirit of the laws. If, as in this case, there's a loophole that lets a player do something that seems wrong, chances are it's not in the spirit of the law.