Cleats...

RugbyGeek

Referees in England
Post Likes
Are they legal?

Had a player wearing them yesterday, and when questioned he said he'd worn them all of last season. I asked him to change them (which he did) but he clearly wasn't happy.....

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Just to be sure, what exactly do you mean by cleats?

RugbyGeek

Referees in England
Post Likes
Hi Guys,

They are definitely cleats - have seen sore refs wearing them and they come highly recommended for their comfort.....but not sure about playing in.

They do approximate blades in essence - suppose major difference being the length and sharpness of the studs/blades...and major difference to normal blades is that there is a central "circle" under the sole of the foot...supposedly aiding grip. If it helps, they are made by Asics in this instance

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Hi Guys,

They are definitely cleats - have seen sore refs wearing them and they come highly recommended for their comfort.....but not sure about playing in.

They do approximate blades in essence - suppose major difference being the length and sharpness of the studs/blades...and major difference to normal blades is that there is a central "circle" under the sole of the foot...supposedly aiding grip. If it helps, they are made by Asics in this instance

They are perfectly legal and there is no reason to make a player change them, unless they have sharp or dangerous edges.

RugbyGeek

Referees in England
Post Likes
They are perfectly legal and there is no reason to make a player change them, unless they have sharp or dangerous edges.

Which is why I questioned them - the edges were quite sharp..

Anyway, rather safe than sorry, but glad I know now....thanks Phil

Stoo48

Referees in America
Post Likes
What big Phil says, and they are really comfortable to referee in, I need a new pair and I think I am going to struggle to get them here....