Club Rugby at the top level in Sydney in more trouble

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Dare I say it, you could save 10 clubs like West Harbour and Penrith if the ARU didn't keep spending millions on ex-league stars.

You don't need players like Folau, and you never needed players like Wendell Sailor or Matt Rogers or Lote Tuqiri. The money the ARU spent on those has-beens would have ben better spent in the grass roots of the game.

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Dare I say it, you could save 10 clubs like West Harbour and Penrith if the ARU didn't keep spending millions on ex-league stars.

You don't need players like Folau, and you never needed players like Wendell Sailor or Matt Rogers or Lote Tuqiri. The money the ARU spent on those has-beens would have ben better spent in the grass roots of the game.

Not wrong. A lot of money gets sucked upwards but not much comes back down.

Gordon are also doing it tough despite dominating at under age level. Doesn't help that Sydney Uni are able to hoover up players developed in other districts

Jolly Roger

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Very sad news. We neglect grass roots at our peril.

SRU is putting a lot of effort into mini and youth rugby as well as into the womens game and this is having a positive impact.
However, problems exist here with losing players after U16s and the number of 2nd and 3rd teams continues to decline.
Club facilities seem to be improving steadily but these bring additional overheads.
I don’t know how much players wages make up the overall budget in clubs but we need to balance the drive for success with financial stability. It is not that long ago that the wage bill at all clubs was zero!

I am very sorry to hear about the demise of any club, particularly ones with such illustrious histories, and wish everyone involved the very best of luck in keeping them going.