Cockerill Charged over Premiershiop final

KieranW

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
As much as I like him as a coach, he does have a track record of things like this and hopefully it will give him a kick up the backside and he sorts himself out. I personally didn't have a problem with him walking down and speaking to the fourth official per se, he was protecting his player. I do have a problem though if he used offensive language, and he did push too far with Ed Morrison having to come down.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I wonder what he thinks he achieves by such behaviour?

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
I said at the time I hoped he would be charged over it. Went way over the top. Hopefully a meaningful ban follows.

Ricardowensleydale

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I wonder what he thinks he achieves by such behaviour?

The same as Ferguson, the former Manchester United manager, achieved. He hopes that subconsciously the ref will give him a marginal edge, occasionally, by being extra careful with those close decisions against him.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
As much as I like him as a coach, he does have a track record of things like this and hopefully it will give him a kick up the backside and he sorts himself out. I personally didn't have a problem with him walking down and speaking to the fourth official per se, he was protecting his player. I do have a problem though if he used offensive language, and he did push too far with Ed Morrison having to come down.

I can't let that go sailing by, unchallenged.
How, exactly, was he doing that? The medics were already on the field. He was actually demanding cards get shown for what was, at worst, a marginal hit.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
How, exactly, was he doing that? The medics were already on the field. He was actually demanding cards get shown for what was, at worst, a marginal hit.

Didn't see it....but if that was the case, exactly what did he think the no 4 would be able to do about it??? Surely these professional coaches know exactly what the no 4 gambit is? Did he want him to radio it into the ref?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

There is some debate over whether it should even have been a PK as the video clearly shows that the tackler was head down and committed.

Also, the injury to Flood was NOT caused by the tackle itself; it happened when Flood's head struck the knee of his team-mate (Cole?). If Cockerill had even bothered to watch the video before flying off the handle, he could have seen that for himself?

Last edited:

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I thought it looked like a bit of chest beating. He knows the camera is on him.

Rassie

Post Likes
Stormers got the maximum fine for just saying Thank you in afrikaans to a official.
Henry was just asked to make a apology and lets see where this goes. Inconsistency ruining discipline and respect for the game

Jenko

Referees in England
Post Likes
Just read this article

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/L...kers-hearing/story-19443381-detail/story.html

I couldn't believe what I was reading!

e.g.
The RFU is in danger of opening up a huge can of worms if it finds Richard Cockerill guilty at tonight's disciplinary hearing.

Cockerill is perfectly within his rights to approach and talk to a fourth official.
is this right?

Whatever your views on whether Cockerill's actions were right or wrong, they are subjective. There are few clear rules set out to gauge levels of "appropriate behaviour" within the sport.

As a result, if Cockerill is found guilty, not for directly abusing a match official, but for what is deemed "inappropriate behaviour", this could be a landmark case. It will basically mean, any club official could get punished at matches next season for simply swearing.
This astounded me!

So Terheege has to be sure that his evidence is spot on.

If he was insulted to such an extent that a director of rugby is going to be fined and/or banned for the start of next season, thus damaging his club's ability to be successful, he has to give an unequivocally clear statement about exactly why he was insulted.
!!!!!!!!!!!???????

I am astounded that a 'journalist' could write this and that an editor would go to print. Or is it me?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Well I am a Leicester fan, and that is uninformed drivel from a Leicester paper pandering to its readership.
I don't expect the RFU give two figs what the Leicester Mercury think.

Is it right, no!
Obviously neither journalist or editor have a clue about rugby or its key principles.

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Cockers gets a 9 match ban!

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Just seen this, runs from Sept 7th to Nov 2nd, only match days affected

Does this mean a clampdown next season?

Too much verbal from coaches and players this season in my opinion, especially at the top. Will we see firmer stances from officials/disciplinary committees?

collybs

Referees in England
Post Likes
Leicester Tigers' director of rugby Richard Cockerill has been suspended for nine matches following his altercation with fourth official Stuart Terheege during last season's Aviva Premiership final at Twickenham.

Cockerill was cited in the wake of his side's 33-17 victory and was found guilty of "conduct prejudicial to the interests of the game" following a lengthy Rugby Football Union disciplinary hearing on Monday night.

The Tigers' boss pleaded not guilty but the RFU panel found that Cockerill used words that were "obscene, inappropriate and unprofessional and behaviour that was inappropriate and unprofessional."

Cockerill, who has the right to appeal, will be suspended from involvement in match day coaching activities, before during and after matches, from September 7 to November 2. He will be free to resume matchday coaching activities on November 3.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/L...kers-hearing/story-19443381-detail/story.html
I couldn't believe what I was reading!

Really? .... Leicester Paper issues unequivocal support for Leicester Club ................ Surprised, nah not me. Didn't Alex Ferguson get a similar ban early on in his career .......... what will we see as a response, Tigers players boycotting RFU events? LOL - surely Cockerill should adopt the Horwill defence ..... He didn't intend him to hear, or expect him to receive his words. :biggrin:

KieranW

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I have no problem with this ban, as long as it's applied consistently in the future now a precedent has been set. I'm sure there are some in the RFU who would just want to see Cockers burned! He wasn't the only one at it last season though.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I have no problem with this ban, as long as it's applied consistently in the future now a precedent has been set. I'm sure there are some in the RFU who would just want to see Cockers burned! He wasn't the only one at it last season though.

who else should've been banned, & why?

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Cockers is entirely innocent, it's a fit up and the RFU should all be hung from lamp-posts - he never said thise words and anyway they were justified and besides he' allowed to - he's Cockers, for goodness sake.

Good grief!!!

:booty:

Or, alternatively and more realistically - otherwise