Consistency???

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Congratulations to how the Crusaders fought back with 14 men for most of the last 10 minutes to snatch a win against the Reds after the 80 minutes. They came back against the Highlanders last week and have shown they are one team you cannot write off.
HOWEVER!!!
I attended a presentation of our Game Management Guidelines last weekend and I must say that the messages are indeed mixed.
We are being told they want us to referee to the ARU Referee Profile and that basically, they want us refereeing the same as the guys refereeing the top domestic games and the Super Rugby referees (or assuring us the Super Rugby guys get the same instructions re Laws that we get)
Such things discussed were:
Don't allow pillars to be offside at the ruck.
Don't allow pillars to obstruct defenders.
Don't allow the "Man on Fire Roll" (player gets tackled and tackler falls off so tackled player rolls forward to gain 2 or 3 metres.
Be Consistent. Ping the same offence in the 1st minute that you are going to ping in the 80th minute. Put another way, if you're not going to penalise something for 79 minutes, don't ping it in the 80th.

Someone needs to give Will Houston a reminder of all of the above.

It makes life so hard for the little guys down in the weeds when we are told the elite guys get the same messages we do and then you don't see it getting backed up on the field. Houston had a reasonably good game, but some of the main points they talked about in the GMGs are obviously not talked about in the same way with the SANZAR guys. So many instances of attacking players interfering with defenders on the edges of the rucks is disappointing.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I see your GMGs and raise you a crooked put in.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I see your GMGs and raise you a crooked put in.

Yep.
Just having a good old fashioned vent here Phil.
If they were honest with us and told us that the Super Rugby guys were going to allow
1. Crooked feeds
2. Offside pillars
3. Players falling on guys on the ground
4. Most players going off their feet at tackle/ruck (for most of the game then ping one at a critical time)

and that we minnows in the weeds were just going to apply the Laws as written, maybe I wouldn't get so frustrated.

I feel better now.